Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I changed the coolant in my 2009 Elantra sedan and used a flush as well. This is my first time doing a coolant change myself. Most places I looked up said to drain the rad via the petcock while both the cap and reservoir tanks were open. Add flush and top off with water, then run engine for 10-15 minutes with heater on max so that operating temperature is reached. Drain as before and then add just water and run again until operating temperature is reached. I actually did this step at least 4 times as the liquid I drained was still coming out dark green. It finally started to come clearer after the fourth time just adding water, but by no means was it just water. I ensured that the cooling fan came on and actually kept my foot on the accelerator to get the rpm's at a steady 2500.

I actually used distilled water through the entire process.

The problem that I had was that the owner manual states the capacity of the cooling system is 6.6 litres or 6.97 US quarts. I was only draining out 2 quarts after the car cooled down. I am supposed to add about 3 1/2 quarts of straight coolant assuming there is about 3 1/2 quarts of almost straight distilled water to achieve a 50/50 ratio. Since I only drained 2 quarts I added 2 quarts of straight antifreeze. There was maybe a little more straight coolant added after burping the system and by this time it was full.

When testing the freezing temperature of the coolant it came as no surprise that the freezing point came to -23 celsius. I'm not sure that this is enough for my location (Toronto, Ontario). Now I'm going to have to drain probably a quart and add another quart of straight antifreeze.

This seems like an "extra step". Does anybody see what I did wrong or is this just the way it has to be done? I phoned up the service dept at a dealership and they weren't much help, said there were 8 litres total and was "accidentally" hung up on while transferring to another person for verification.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe question was too wordy...

Manual says coolant capacity is 6.9 quarts. I can only drain 2 quarts. I flush the system and now it only contains water. I drained the rad and got 2 quarts of water out. How are you supposed to get a 50/50 mix?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most places I looked up said to drain the rad via the petcock while both the cap and reservoir tanks were open.
If you are going to do your own maintenance going forward, you need a shop manual for that model.

Where is this petcock located ?
If it is at the bottom of the radiator, you probably just need to let it drain longer.......much longer, like an hour maybe. And running the engine for a few seconds might help too.

If the drain is NOT at the lowest point of the engine, then you might need to take the lower radiator hose loose or remove a freeze plug from the engine block.

P.S. The "flush" step is not recommended. By now, you have wasted a LOT of time and money. Having a shop do a simple drain and refill would have been quick and inexpensive. Maybe you should do that now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts