Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 hyundai elantra SE... A couple weeks ago i was parking and my car died. I parked turned off the ignition and turned it back on and it was fine. I took it to the dealer they said weak battery and 60000 tune up needs to be done... But the main factor was battery. Got a new battery. Still doing it. Tested alternator and battery... Both good... Anyone know what the issue is? I dont get why the dealership cant figure out the issue. Please let me know

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Dawnie89....I'm a technician for Hyundai, maybe I can offer a little insight and assist you in finding a solution to your issue...
First, I have to start with a few questions to help me figure out where your car is in the troubleshooting process.
1. Did you have a diagnostic scan performed to identify any codes in the system? If so, what codes?
2. Are you aware of any active recalls on your vehicle? One way you can find out is by Googling the website database. If your in Canada then I am sure its different then what we have in the states, the NHTSA National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration. It's a free database anyone in the US can input their VIN and find out about recalls on their vehicle.
3. Does your vehicle stall happen at a specific time, speed, gear etc...have you noticed a pattern?

Easiest thing to do is start with the simple things to rule them out through the process of elimination....
1. A common one is a loose battery terminal. Natural vehicle vibrations can cause a loose battery terminal to break contact temporarily and the on-board computer
tells the car to shut down because it recognized a possible problem.
2. Another common one is a weak fuel pump. Have you noticed a change in your car's mileage per gallon? Sometimes weak fuel pump pressure will cause the car to
stall when the fuel sloshes from side to side in the tank depending on the fuel level.
3. You mentioned that the dealership said a 60,000 mile tune up needs to be done. I would concur with this in that spark plugs, ignition coils, air filter etc...are not designed to last forever. It is possible your vehicle computer detected a misfire due to old spark plugs and shut down on you. Just for the reassurance of
preventative maintenance, a tune up would be a good idea.
4. Hyundai's engines are very picky regarding the original equipment oil filters. Some of the cheaper off brand filters that have weaker baffles and paper can cause the vehicles oil pressure to fluctuate, again the on board computer senses a problem and may decide to shut down on you. If you don't have a Hyundai Original Equipment oil filter on the car I would recommend having one installed next oil change, along with a decent higher end synthetic oil.

I would start there and look into my suggestions and get back with me and I will continue to try and help. I recommend the next time it happens, take note of the time of day, temperature, speed, what gear, turning or straight.....all of this information will be helpful in determining if this is a mechanical problem or an electrical problem.
Good luck,

Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts