Elantra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I looked in my manual and according to my driving style and conditions I can do my oil changes at 7500 mile intervals. I plan on doing them at 5000 though as I just think 7500 is too long of a time to wait. My question...does anyone know what the break-in period is for the 1.8L engine? I've heard 1000 miles...and 3000 miles. I'm approaching 1000 miles already as I just love driving this thing. I'll be using Mobil1 0w-20 when it's time to start changing the oil.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dealer told me 3500 miles before the first oil change then every 7500 miles. I've always done about a 3k mile break in on any new/rebuilt engines or transmissions. I too am planning on every 5k though seeing as I do mostly short trips through the city with lots of stop and go. My 10 mile commute takes me about 30 minutes everyday because of all the traffic lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3K - 3.5K sounds about right. Then every 5K there after. 30 minutes to go 10 miles?!...that sucks. My commute is around 28 miles...takes me 23 - 24 minutes. I've done it in 15 before in the Sonata I use to own.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, when I lived in NC it took me about 10 minutes to make it to work that was about 10 miles away. Gotta love empty "highways" running through farms and forest. By highways I mena perfectly paved winding roads with no posted speedlimits. It's supposed to be understood that it's 45, but that didn't hold up in court. lol.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I did the first oil change @ 3000 miles.I use 5W20 full synthetic @ every 6000 miles or so. No issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 13 Elantra GT & did my first oil change @ 1,500 miles w/ Amsoil 5w-20 & Amsoil filter. The oil is good for 25,000 miles but the filter is good for only 15,000. I will probably change it at 10,000 for the second oil change & then 15,000 after that. This is by far the best Hyundai I've had

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Elantra Luxury Sedan
12 Posts
To familiarize ourselves with the new car I have driven 750 kilometres in the 1st 10 days avoiding high speed expressways and 4 lane highways. All my driving has been on county highways or secondary roads. The car has not gone above 85 km per hour, however, this week I will take it up to 100 - 110 km per hour on the major 4 lane highways. I'm retired so I won't be putting a lot of mileage on the car. Instead, I will have oil changes, etc every 6 months. I'm installing my dash cam this week. It's a very good car and glad we bought it.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Elantra Luxury Sedan
12 Posts
To familiarize ourselves with the new car I have driven 750 kilometres in the 1st 10 days avoiding high speed expressways and 4 lane highways. All my driving has been on county highways or secondary roads. The car has not gone above 85 km per hour, however, this week I will take it up to 100 - 110 km per hour on the major 4 lane highways. I'm retired so I won't be putting a lot of mileage on the car. Instead, I will have oil changes, etc every 6 months. I'm installing my dash cam this week. It's a very good car and glad we bought it.
Took my 2020 Elantra Luxury sedan with 2.0 engine and IVT transmission out on the multi lane highway today. I set the cruise control at 110 km per hr (abt 68 mph) and the rpm settled in at 2,500. It was effortless and no stress on the engine or transmission to maintain the speed.
I'm very happy with this car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts