Elantra Forum banner

BMW in talks with Hyundai on engine tie-ups: report

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  markcanderwich 
#1 ·
Seoul: German premium carmaker BMW and South Korean carmaker Hyundai Motor are in discussions on a tie-up on engines and other areas, a source who has direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters, without giving details.

“The talks are at early stages,” the source said on condition of anonymity because of confidentiality of the issue.

Another source told Reuters that the two companies had held talks on a “comprehensive alliance”, including jointly developing an engine and sharing development costs by half each. He said he had no knowledge of whether the talks were still underway.

German industry newsletter Automobil Produktion reported on Thursday that BMW was in talks with Hyundai.
German industry newsletter Automobil Produktion reported on Thursday that BMW was in talks with Hyundai to help shoulder 1-2 billion euros in costs in developing new engine families.

Hyundai Chairman Chung Mong-koo’s son and heir apparent, Chung Eui-sun, had met a small group of top BMW managers in Munich, Automobil Produktion said, without citing sources.

A spokesman for Hyundai Motor said he was checking the media report.

Reuters

http://www.firstpost.com/business/bmw-in-talks-with-hyundai-on-engine-tie-ups-report-298253.html

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Didn't really think it needed explaining but okay.

What I meant is Honda who was once ahead of the pack has recently been trailing Hyundai in reliability and brand trust. Now with this "potential" partnership, Honda will not be able to make up ground. Honda has been disappointing its consumers these last couple years while Hyundai has been raising it's profile as number one in its class.

This is my opinion, which I think is shared by many others.

#7 ·
Hyundai is doing well and continues to but people will always buy Honda because of it's history and everyone's general impression of the brand and Honda's marketing runs deep into a lot of stuff, motorsports being one of the main things. Still I see far more Honda's on the road than Hyundai's, and that alone says a lot. I think Hyundai is the one in need of catching up.

#10 ·
Seoul: German premium carmaker BMW and South Korean carmaker Hyundai Motor are in discussions on a tie-up on engines and other areas, a source who has direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters, without giving details.

“The talks are at early stages,” the source said on condition of anonymity because of confidentiality of the issue.

Another source told Reuters that the two companies had held talks on a “comprehensive alliance”, including jointly developing an engine and sharing development costs by half each. He said he had no knowledge of whether the talks were still underway.

German industry newsletter Automobil Produktion reported on Thursday that BMW was in talks with Hyundai.
German industry newsletter Automobil Produktion reported on Thursday that BMW was in talks with Hyundai to help shoulder 1-2 billion euros in costs in developing new engine families.

Hyundai Chairman Chung Mong-koo’s son and heir apparent, Chung Eui-sun, had met a small group of top BMW managers in Munich, Automobil Produktion said, without citing sources.

A spokesman for Hyundai Motor said he was checking the media report.

Reuters

http://www.firstpost.com/business/bmw-in-talks-with-hyundai-on-engine-tie-ups-report-298253.html
Wow this is pretty impressive. Hyundai is doing pretty well, But their brand will always only be known for the affordable sedan market. I see what they are trying to do, working with Higher end manufacturer like Bmw will help promote their name and reputation. Its only a matter of time till Hyundai will be know as a luxury brand. Maybe in the next 10 years is my guess.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Smart move, collaborating with one of the best will bring attention lots of attention with an established brand. This will do well for Hyundai, just wondering which line of car its gonna be implanted in. Bmw or Hyundai? Maybe its gonna be like Toyota and Subaru with the BRZ/FRS thats drawing alot of attention at the moment.

#16 ·
Yes in fact BMW and Hyundai Motor are discussing a possible tie-up in engine development and other areas, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters. “The talks are at early stages,” the source said on condition of anonymity because the talks were confidential.

Another source told Reuters the two companies had discussed a comprehensive alliance, including jointly developing an engine and sharing development costs equally. He said he had no knowledge of whether the talks were still under way.

i Hope it will DONE with it,,, :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.