Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Elantra. The battery will randomly die after sitting for various lengths of time. The battery and alternator have been tested and are good. I was told that there is a history of the alternators putting a drain on the battery when sitting even though they test good and charge. Can anyone verify this or offer any suggestions? The car is completely stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My folks have a 2013 Elantra and we’re experiencing similar issues. After being given a company car, she drives hers far less often, so it will sit sometimes for a week or two. My father starts it regularly and is certain to check nothing is left on. Many trips back and forth to mechanics, the dealership, battery replacements, diagnostics, hair loss, etc etc... turns out when he would pull it in the garage and set the alarm, if the buttons were hit mistakenly again, let’s say keys in a pocket or perhaps when set on the counter, it inadvertently would turn the marker lamps, and DRL’s on. I couldn’t believe there wasn’t some type of “timer” or protection built in for just that type of scenario, but it apparently it has something to do with the alarm/remote/“courtesy lighting” combination. I dunno, I’ve never had that issue. I’ve tried to replicate it many times on my 2018 Elantra and apparently mines just smarter than me. No matter what, my lights ALWAYS auto off themselves. I have yet to test trunk/glovebox lighting (not even sure if I have lights in either spots tbh) but as far as my headlights, marker lights, etc... those all automatically turn off.
So yeah, I just thought I’d share some insight from our experience in a super confusing story lololol. Hope you guys get your gremlins sorted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts