Elantra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed a sound system? Particularly a subwoofer? If so where did you mount amps/subwoofer? I'm considering installing a sub but I don't want a big box in the trunk. I found a stealth box on crutchfield but it's a little too much money. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
you should look into shallow mounted air free subwoofers that don't need a box, Pioneer sells a 10" last I checked. They might also have a 12"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know the link but it's on crutchfields website for the stealth box.

I'll look into the air free sub. Do you have any experience with them? Do they sound good?

·
Registered
173 Posts

I'll look into the air free sub. Do you have any experience with them? Do they sound good?
they're technically not air free. they should still be in a box, but they are able to run with about 5 cubic inches of air space in the box. they are not going to sound amazing, but they are fairly clean and will be a huge improvement over stock. In my experience pioneer makes the best shallow mount sub on the market. They make them in 8", 10", and 12" and they only have about a 3.25" mounting depth. Pioneer also makes a box for them that can fit under some seats. I dont think it would fit under yours. You would have to measure and find out. If it would fit, you could put the sub under one seat and the amp under the other. However, they take up very little space in the trunk if you put it back there. Also, it is a down firing enclosure so you could mount the amp on top of it to save space.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I may just look into what is cheaper, the stealth box from crutchfield or a custom fiberglass job. I know I'm going to want a system. I prefer the windows down over the A/C in the summertime and with all that wind the stock system just won't cut it.

I'll post pics when I have it installed but I won't have the car for another month or so at least. The car hasn't even been built yet unfortunately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel like you would really only need a sub though. The other speakers should be good. I just don't see where else you would put a sub other than in the trunk. Not every sub is huge though. You can find a small one that would be fine for the car and not take up that much space in the trunk I'm sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the past I installed an old bass tube I had in one of my cars. It was an amplified 8 in. sub in a self contained unit. It even had a strap for mounting. It definitely gave me more bass than stock but it just wasn't powerful enough. I've also seen people put a truck box under one of their seats because of the slim size. I think I would rather go with a stealth box though, Its a much cleaner install.

What year Elantra do you have? How do you like the stock sound system? (Assuming you haven't upgraded.)

·
Registered
363 Posts

they sound good to me, i had one installed in the rear deck of my lexus which acted as a direct replacement for the OEM subwoofer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heres my setup:

JBL GTO1204BP 12" loaded bandpass with LED lighting
Alpine MRP-M500 - mounted on the back of the right backseat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts