Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I bought a 2016 Hyundai Elantra 4 and a half years ago and have been making payments (on my own, no other support) ever since. This weekend, I took it in because it wouldn’t start and when it did, it was shaking.

Turns out, engine failure that require a new engine put in and the maintenance can take “1 week to 3 months”

Now, everything is under warranty so I’m not paying for anything thank god. I was told that I can get a rental car. Great!

However, on my way to get the rental, I get a call saying that I can’t actually get the rental because I’m 24 and not 25. So even though I can buy a car and make payments since 19 years old, I can’t actually get a rental. I’m so livid.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear your engine failed. Warranties are there for peace of mind, not because they are cheap or always make sense. Glad to see you opted for the safety net, and it is really paying off!

Yeah, rental agencies are kind of a pain when it comes to drivers under 25. Not all of them are that bad, though. Call around, some will rent to <25 year-olds and some will not. Just be warned, some will charge extra deposit if you are under 25, but it is refunded after it is returned. I would check with your insurance company, to see their recommendation, since some will have deals brokered with rental agencies for vehicles that are in for repairs, which will get you "Shop Rates" for the rental period.

Good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts