Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the car cheap, $1300 last March, only 79k miles and well kept... well before abandonment. The car supposedly belonged to a Navy person that relocated overseas and had been sitting in a navy garage for almost 2 years. No leaks, squeaks, or mechanical issues found when purchased. The low cost was for the ugly faded paint job (Clear coat peeling).
Had been driving regularly too and from work since March, almost at 92K miles now and a few things are a miss. Fuel millage was getting bad, really bad at 15-18mpg highway so I did a basic tune up (Plugs, Wires, oil change,) had a slight tick so I started to adjust the valves and got stopped dead in my tracks. Only got as far as removing the valve cover to find the only adjustments are done with shims, something I have never witnessed before... put it back together with new valve cover gaskets and left it alone. Would like to do this myself but not sure how. nothing seemed to do much difference
Recently, about 1 month ago, the care has developed a stutter/hesitation about mid throttle that worsens as it gets to regular operating temps. Now this week its only getting worse, climbing bridges and overpasses I go from 70mph down to 55-60 as if it's dropped 50 HP somewhere. It still runs better at lower temps, and seems like humidity plays a part also as it runs best when it is raining ::Shrugs:: I am hoping something here will ring a bell as to where I should start looking first. One more note is I am pretty sure it is a California model as the Plates were from there, and some DOD stickers from back in '02 for a base in Cali.

All the while it has not thrown a single code other than an Airbag light that came on after hitting a curb about 3 months ago. 4 broken rims YAY, and with the oversized center hub opening not an easy junkyard find for 14in rims!! $1300 later new tires, rims, struts. Come to think about it the stutter began around the same time as the minor accident 25-30mph straight into a curb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I try and do all my own work, Im skilled just not knowledgeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
have you checked all vacuum lines? Look for a clogged PCV. Not sure if it has a coil pac for distributor, but there are some that could be bad and giving weak spark. Thes are just genereic ideas as I have never worked on one of these.

As to shims, they are best left to the shops as you will need a small fortune in them to get the job done. This is based on the need to use shims on motorcycles and is from what I have read on adjusting the valves on shimmed MC's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hank, I plan on digging a little into it this weekend, Depth of which depends on how hung over I am... lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts