Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I just leased a 2021 Elantra SEL two weeks ago. I was hoping I could get some feedback and comments about something I think isn't quite right. It's minor, but annoying.

I don't think the gas gauge is accurate. I'm not 100 % sure, which is why I'm here asking for advice.

When I drove the car off the lot, I noticed the gas gauge needle was moving fairly quickly. It started right on the F line, but when I got home, less than four miles, it was already off the F line. With my previous Elantra (2019), I could drive 50 miles before the gas gauge began to move off the F.

I filled the gas tank up after 13 days, and 184 miles--although there was already a few miles on that tank of gas, since the dealership had to fill it before giving it to me. The gas gauge read less than half full. It was on the first line below the midpoint. (The attached image shows a yellow arrow that points to that position.)

When I got my first fill-up, the receipt said 5.63 gallons were put in. This is where I began to believe something's wrong.

The tank holds 14 gallons of gas. That means the halfway point on the gas gauge should be 7 gallons. When I drove into gas station, the gas gauge was where the yellow arrow points to. That's MORE than 7 gallons, if I understand the gauge correctly. But the tank took less than 6.

As you can see in the attached image, this tank only has 51.6 miles on it. The previous tank of gas averaged 30 mpg in round figures. So, I've used less than two gallons, but look at where the red needle is.

This doesn't seem accurate to me. Am I right? This just doesn't feel right to me. Is the gas gauge not calibrated correctly? I figured I'd as about it here before going to the service department of the dealership.

What do you think? Thank you. Jd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, everyone. I just leased a 2021 Elantra SEL two weeks ago. I was hoping I could get some feedback and comments about something I think isn't quite right. It's minor, but annoying.

I don't think the gas gauge is accurate. I'm not 100 % sure, which is why I'm here asking for advice.

When I drove the car off the lot, I noticed the gas gauge needle was moving fairly quickly. It started right on the F line, but when I got home, less than four miles, it was already off the F line. With my previous Elantra (2019), I could drive 50 miles before the gas gauge began to move off the F.

I filled the gas tank up after 13 days, and 184 miles--although there was already a few miles on that tank of gas, since the dealership had to fill it before giving it to me. The gas gauge read less than half full. It was on the first line below the midpoint. (The attached image shows a yellow arrow that points to that position.)

When I got my first fill-up, the receipt said 5.63 gallons were put in. This is where I began to believe something's wrong.

The tank holds 14 gallons of gas. That means the halfway point on the gas gauge should be 7 gallons. When I drove into gas station, the gas gauge was where the yellow arrow points to. That's MORE than 7 gallons, if I understand the gauge correctly. But the tank took less than 6.

As you can see in the attached image, this tank only has 51.6 miles on it. The previous tank of gas averaged 30 mpg in round figures. So, I've used less than two gallons, but look at where the red needle is.

This doesn't seem accurate to me. Am I right? This just doesn't feel right to me. Is the gas gauge not calibrated correctly? I figured I'd as about it here before going to the service department of the dealership.

View attachment 3058
hi...i have the exact same car and the exact same problem
hyundai service diagnosed the problem as the fuel tank gas level sender being defective
as of now i am waiting to have it replaced
what i have found is that if slowly put the gas into the tank you can get the right amount of fuel in...your right in the tank is 12.4g capacity which means each 1/8 drop on gauge is equal to 1.4 gals
hope this helps...if you want to call me and talk further feel free to do so....508.369-0282
good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying. I went to Hyundai this morning. They ran a diagnostic check, and it reported nothing out of the ordinary. So, they reset the computer system, topped off the tank with gas (which they paid for, but I did offer to pay for it), and told me to drive the car normally. When the car got down to 3/4 full, they asked me to bring it back and they would double-check it.

I asked them what is involved in replacing the fuel sensor. Do they have to remove the entire fuel tank? They said no, there's basically a hatch at the top, where they can go in and replace whatever's in there. It's not a major operation. But if the problem persists, I'll show them this forum thread, and see if replacing the sensor/sender is the next step. It's a brand new car, I've had it for less than five weeks, it still has less than 500 miles as of this writing, so I think there is a part that isn't functioning properly. Of course, then there's the question of why diagnostics didn't detect it.

Assuming I get 30 mpg on the average, let's see...1.4 X 30 = 42. Yeah, not even close. Something's not right. Thank you again for replying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for replying. I went to Hyundai this morning. They ran a diagnostic check, and it reported nothing out of the ordinary. So, they reset the computer system, topped off the tank with gas (which they paid for, but I did offer to pay for it), and told me to drive the car normally. When the car got down to 3/4 full, they asked me to bring it back and they would double-check it.

I asked them what is involved in replacing the fuel sensor. Do they have to remove the entire fuel tank? They said no, there's basically a hatch at the top, where they can go in and replace whatever's in there. It's not a major operation. But if the problem persists, I'll show them this forum thread, and see if replacing the sensor/sender is the next step. It's a brand new car, I've had it for less than five weeks, it still has less than 500 miles as of this writing, so I think there is a part that isn't functioning properly. Of course, then there's the question of why diagnostics didn't detect it.

Assuming I get 30 mpg on the average, let's see...1.4 X 30 = 42. Yeah, not even close. Something's not right. Thank you again for replying.
i am supposed to have it replaced late this week...i will post again what is happening....don

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 3058
hi again....dealer changed out the gas level unit and there is no difference in the issue
talking to a friend with a diff car and he has the same issue...what he does is fast fill to click off...then
add extra slowly
when i slow filled slowly the gauge did not start to drop until i drove 50 or so miles...then was at 7/8 full
at 75 miles...which is about right for 1.4 gal per segment
my car on hiway according to economy gauge and on cruise is getting 53/mpg
we are making our way from fl to new england so its all hiway driving....
hope that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi again....dealer changed out the gas level unit and there is no difference in the issue
talking to a friend with a diff car and he has the same issue...what he does is fast fill to click off...then
add extra slowly
when i slow filled slowly the gauge did not start to drop until i drove 50 or so miles...then was at 7/8 full
at 75 miles...which is about right for 1.4 gal per segment
my car on hiway according to economy gauge and on cruise is getting 53/mpg
we are making our way from fl to new england so its all hiway driving....
hope that helps
btw my friend has a 2020 hyundai elantra with the same issue
i think we are chasing a ghost....dealers are either aware of it or don't care
i plan to fast fill add another gal and stop....i can go 200 miles or more highway speed on 1/2 tank....
i can live with that
good luck
don

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi...last bit of info
i now fill up normally...let the pump shut off....let it settle for a few seconds then slowly add.1-1.5 more gas
that gives me 40-50 miles before it begins to drop and 70-80 on an eigth of a tank...i can live with that
on fill up for 1/2 tank i had 230 miles on the trip meter...thats a mix of highway and city driviong
good luck....best don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts