Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Elantra SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2020 sedan, and while the A/C gets cold, when I change the setting to blow just out of the vents, it still blows the majority of air to the floor, like you would normally do with the heater on in the winter. So there's not enough air in the top vents, and too much in the foot wells.

We just brought the car home yesterday, so I am not very familiar with things yet. I do DIY maintenance on our other cars, and unless it involves taking the engine or transmission apart, I would probably attempt it myself. Can any suggest what I should look into to repair this blower control issue?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
85 Posts
I haven't messed with these but many vehicles have a blend/select door and the motors either go out or the gear strips. My bet would be there. Can't help you on where it might be on these cars except the passenger's footwell.

·
Registered
2020 Elantra SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some more tinkering with it this evening. Found a Youtube video on how to access the blower and blower motor. Took out the blower, cleaned out the blower cage and reassembled it. That fixed the loud fan noise it was making. Also made sure the cabin air filter was installed right.

Had my son mess with the control button while I watched the actuator work. It seemed to be moving ok. I couldn't tell what in the world was going wrong. There are actually two actuators up under the steering column on the center console side of the foot well. In my 2020, the one that moves when you change air-flow choice (defrost, defrost+floor, vents, vents + floor) is a light gray color and higher up the wall of the center console. The heater actuator is lower on the center console wall and black in color.

It turns out, I could get cold air (or hot air, for that matter) to blow out of the vents if I put the system in "AUTO" and cranked up the heat to high. Then, if I turned it all the way down so the A/C came back on, it would blow through the vents as it should. If I then changed to, say, defrost + floor, and then went back to vents, it would not blow through the vents again until I cranked up the heat all the way, and then put it back down to A/C.

The Youtube about accessing the blower & blower motor is here: How to remove the cabin blower motor in a 2017-2018 Hyundai Elantra

The Youtube about the actuator is here: Hyundai Elantra no air coming from vents? Fixed

I started looking online for the actuators. Rock Auto only shows the heater door actuator. Here's that link: FOUR SEASONS 73292

Now to find the upper actuator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts