Elantra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
TBD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My first post here. I'm planning on buying my first car in the coming months, I've been relying on my grandpa's little old v6 Toyota pickup (5-speed manual) which isn't good for longer trips/more passengers, so I need something safer and roomier. Oddly enough the 2019 Elantra SE 6mt is my 'dream car' and I ended up finding one in blue for a really good price that I'll be able to afford. It has 50k miles which might reason the price, but I'm not too picky on miles. I remember Korean cars where viewed as unreliable cheap cars in the 90s and 2000s, but I definitely know they've come a long way. I like the Elantra much more than the Civic and Corolla mainly because the SE is pretty no-nonsense and pretty basic for a new car of the size, I love that. I like the interior layout, it felt really cozy and spacious for the size when we rented one in Florida last summer. I love the manual transmission too, drove to how I like it when I test drove one. Clutch had a comfortable release point and wasn't crazy light, nice solid shifts too. I'm no huge sports enthusiasts with cars. Anyways, you can tell how much I like this car, so to the question!

Are the new generation Elantras pretty reliable? Have you only done basic maintenance. Do you think long term reliability would be good? It's a simple engine, so I would think it would outlast the new turbo Civics and such without too much crazy maintenance. Please let me know your experience so far! Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Gabriel! I have a 2020 Hyundai Elantra Value edition I bought brand new back in February, I have not had any issues until I ran over a deer a couple weeks ago. I have put about 16k miles on the car since I bought it. No complaints yet, you shouldn’t have any major issues! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought my 2017 Elantra GL in Dec 2016 and its been fantastic... Only had one issue which was a software issue.. which was the ECT software update.. Other then that.. its been fantastic...

·
Registered
TBD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! I've read that many korean cars tend to start failing around 60k miles, but they're mostly 2010 or older. They've come a long way, so I doubt it'll give up around there. The SE doesn't come with front collision warnings, do you know if it's possible to install it after? I'm pretty attentive, but I've had a close call when traffic suddenly slowed when I was merging. California on ramps are the worst!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2018 Elantra . Was a great car. I was tboned by a ford pickup. The safety equipment saved my bacon. The car was totaled. Yes, I went out and bought a 2019. No problems with either.

·
Registered
TBD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 2018 Elantra . Was a great car. I was tboned by a ford pickup. The safety equipment saved my bacon. The car was totaled. Yes, I went out and bought a 2019. No problems with either.
Hey dadoojo, do you have aftermath photos? Also what speed. I'm always curious. Would be very useful. If you don't want to post publicly, please DM me. Thanks much in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2018 Elantra SE (2.0 L engine and 6-speed automatic transmission) with 32,000 miles on the odometer.

So far, I have had absolutely no problems with my 2018.

My previous vehicle was a 2010 Elantra, which I parted with after around 120,000 (relatively) trouble-free miles. I gave the vehicle to my niece and she is still driving it today.

For 2019, Hyundai replaced the 6-speed automatic transmission with an IVT (CVT) transmission. I can't comment on the reliability of the IVT but the 2.0L engine should be fine.

I would not hesitate to buy another Elantra.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey dadoojo, do you have aftermath photos? Also what speed. I'm always curious. Would be very useful. If you don't want to post publicly, please DM me. Thanks much i
Hey dadoojo, do you have aftermath photos? Also what speed. I'm always curious. Would be very useful. If you don't want to post publicly, please DM me. Thanks much in advance!
I believe they estimated his speed at 45 or 50. He blew through a red light. I was pushed through the intersection and spun around. These Elantras have reinforcements in the door and frames. Airbags all over the place. crush points.

·
Registered
TBD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe they estimated his speed at 45 or 50. He blew through a red light. I was pushed through the intersection and spun around. These Elantras have reinforcements in the door and frames. Airbags all over the place. crush points.
That's very impressive! Thank you for helping me feel more secure. I may be taking a trip the following weekend to take a look at it. It is quite far, but good price!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2017 Elantra Value Edition, and I LOVED that car. I had it for about 3yrs (2yrs 11mo 25days) before I rear-ended a Dodge Ram 1500. Let me tell you, my poor Elantra didn't stand a chance. I caught the trailer hitch 1mm above the lip of the bumper at a sliding 15-20mph. Sadly, it ended up totalling my car with 88k miles on it (in less than 3yrs, mind you), so you know I drive a LOT. It never went in the shop, and never had any issues. I ended up getting a 2020 Elantra Sport late last year, because I wanted the front collision detection and other safety features that would have saved my old Elantra. If I had to pick again, I would have gone with the Limited, though. I HATE the DCT on the 1.6T. The paddle shifters are good, but it is seriously a lazy transmission when it comes to Stop-->1st gear. If anything, it also feels like my old 2.0L was quicker off the line, too.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts