Elantra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At exactly 104,000 miles, literally 4000 miles out of warranty, my engine went south. I paid to have it replaced, with a 21,000 mile engine. Since then, I've had a very odd issue happen and the car back to the mechanic 4 times now, and it keeps reoccurring and no one can figure this out. Here's what it does...

Driving fine for several days, then after driving for about 30 minutes, the temperature gauge jumps from half to all the way hot, and the alarm goes off. It will drop back to half temp shortly. A little while later, it will do it again. It progressively gets worse and more often, until it buries in the hot side, and stays there. Then the heat won't work any longer, and lastly, the check engine light goes on, and when I come to a stop, the car stalls. I have to put it in neutral and keep giving it a little gas to keep it running, to at least get it back to the mechanic. This last time, it tripped code, they determined it was a temperature sensor, and they replace it. like I said, 4 times now. It happened again today. Clearly there's something happening here, and not hooked up correctly when the engine was replaced. I can't believe that I was given 4 faulty sensors. Something else is causing this to go bad. I need to give my mechanic suggestions, and I'm hoping an expert here knows of this, or can give me a clue on what to tell them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: I had it back at the mechanic today. He put a meter on it, directly to the main computer. it was reading 265 degrees of engine heat, but with a laser temp gauge, it was no where near that. The sensor is new, and replaced a few times already, as well as the thermostat. This HAS to be a main computer issue, no?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts