Elantra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was test driving a 2014 Elantra and 2014 Sonata today. I liked the handling of the Elantra, but I noticed quite a bit of road noise compared to the Sonata. Just want to know if other 2014 Elantra owners have noticed similar things. If anybody has driven both cars, I would like to hear your impressions too. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is 2011 Elantra. Great little car, but yeah, you can hear every little bump in the road.
Thanks TES. Yes, I like the way it looks and drives too.

Hyundai and online reviews claimed that 2014 model should have improved sound proofing, but that didn't seem to be the case when I test drove, unless it was the generic tires they put on the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We've have 2013 and 2014 Coupes and the road has been an issue but is getting better. My thoughts are with the tires. Depending on trim levels of car, lower profile tires tend to add road compared to taller tires. For example my wife's GT had 15" snow tires vs my Coupe's 17" snow tires. Her car rides much smoother than mine. As for wind noise over the body, shape and insulation used could be different but they cannot be changed vs the tire/wheel combination.

Try test driving different trim levels to see if a certain combination works for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vsx1, nice to have perspective from somebody who owns both 2013 and 2014. I am going to try another Elantra with a 15 inch wheel, and hopefully that might make a difference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Correction: we HAD a 2013 Coupe (traded it in for my 2014 Coupe). We had a 2012 Sedan and it rode quite nice on the 16" wheels. We also test drove a Veloster on 18" wheels and that car picked up EVERYTHING. Went with the Elantra Coupe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with the tires. I went through 3 sets of tires on my Sonata, each a different brand or series of tire, and they all had different noise characteristics. The last set, Goodyear Assurance Touring, were the quietest by far. My 2015 Elantra, which I just bought this week, has some Hankook tires (stock?) and they're not too bad. I hear rolling noise a bit, more than my Sonata of course, but not so much from bumps. I've had small cars in the past and I just think they are more prone to let noise into the cabin by their nature. If you want quiet, you have to step up to larger and more luxurious cars, IMHO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Road noise is subjective. 2 people will have 2 different opinions. I think my 16 is quiet, my wife says it's louder than her Honda. Everyone is different. Don't buy a car based on road noise though, buy it based on quality, and what your looking for. The radio has a volume knob. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts