Elantra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my AC only blows warm air when I first start car and am sitting still. Fan in front of car by radiator is not moving at this point. When I start to drive the AC kicks in and blows cold air from then on. Can someone help me as to what to look at to see what is wrong? I went to recharge but it seems as though it is full. In fack it registers on edge of red column on gauge. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
85 Posts
When you're parked turn the AC to max cold, fan high on recirculate. Stand where you can see/hear the AC compressor and see if it cycles on/off. It should do this every 5-10 seconds with an audible click. If it doesn't you could have too little/much refrigerant. Could also be a bad pressure switch in the system.
Also, you can measure voltage going to the fan to see if it is a bad fan or relay feeding the fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I will check that again, but have not heard cycling before. What would I see to indicate that the compressor is cycling? Or will I just hear it? I will check relays and fuses, but what is best way to check fan or if fan getting power? (not very experienced on the electrical side but do have multimeter and voltage indicator). Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
85 Posts
On the compressor itself the front of it will not be turning then when you hear the click, which is the clutch engaging, the front will start to turn.
For testing the fans it is a little more involved but not hard to do. Let me work on this a little more because checking relays is complicated to explain but start with fuses there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked all fuses. They are good. Ordered relays to replace as they are cheap. Cooling Fan in front by radiator mot running when I turn on car and air on. Do not hear compressor cycling but probably because clutch appears to be turning non stop. I do not see it disengage at all. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
85 Posts
Hoepfully just a bad relay for the fan. If not they get harder to diagnose and may need someone with more knowledge than I have on these vehciles.
If it is turning non-stop it could be low on refrigerant. ALong with the fan not running there is no way for the condensor to remove the heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts