Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure by now we (as a community) should have a good collective understanding of the 2.0L engine in the 2014-2017 Elantra GT.
The regular 2011-2016 Elantra's 1.8L has notable issues (piston slap, oil sludge problems, other failures) and had a Class Action Settlement. Other engines in the Sonata and Santa Fe (2.0 and 2.4)had recalls. But as far as I can see the 2.0L in the 2014-17 Elantra GT has escaped serious problems. Is that right? What is the experience of people that have/had them?

What engine problems should someone look out for in the 2014-2017 GT"s 2.0L engine?
Are there any notable failures? How long are they expected to last? 100K miles, 150K mile of 200K miles before problems start to emerge (and which problems)?
Is there any recommended maintenance, additions, precautions, etc. to stave off any of the noted problems?
What's the final assessment of the GT's 2.0L engine, now that we have a good 5 years of hindsight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my 2014 Elatrra gt for 5 years now (2.0 L GDI), I bought it with 20,00km on it and it now has 102,000 km on it. It has not missed a beat ,no hiccups at all. I have change the oil every 5,000km and flushed the engine every 15,000 km. I was told that of it being a direct injection engine the flush will help get gas out of the oil . I also put 1/2 a bottle of Lucas oil additive at every oil change . You can hardly tell the engine is running and still has great performance . I hope to get many more years out of it :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts