Elantra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure by now we (as a community) should have a good collective understanding of the 2.0L engine in the 2014-2017 Elantra GT.
The regular 2011-2016 Elantra's 1.8L has notable issues (piston slap, oil sludge problems, other failures) and had a Class Action Settlement. Other engines in the Sonata and Santa Fe (2.0 and 2.4)had recalls. But as far as I can see the 2.0L in the 2014-17 Elantra GT has escaped serious problems. Is that right? What is the experience of people that have/had them?

What engine problems should someone look out for in the 2014-2017 GT"s 2.0L engine?
Are there any notable failures? How long are they expected to last? 100K miles, 150K mile of 200K miles before problems start to emerge (and which problems)?
Is there any recommended maintenance, additions, precautions, etc. to stave off any of the noted problems?
What's the final assessment of the GT's 2.0L engine, now that we have a good 5 years of hindsight?

Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
I have had my 2014 Elatrra gt for 5 years now (2.0 L GDI), I bought it with 20,00km on it and it now has 102,000 km on it. It has not missed a beat ,no hiccups at all. I have change the oil every 5,000km and flushed the engine every 15,000 km. I was told that of it being a direct injection engine the flush will help get gas out of the oil . I also put 1/2 a bottle of Lucas oil additive at every oil change . You can hardly tell the engine is running and still has great performance . I hope to get many more years out of it :cool:

· Registered
21 Posts
I figure by now we (as a community) should have a good collective understanding of the 2.0L engine in the 2014-2017 Elantra GT.
The regular 2011-2016 Elantra's 1.8L has notable issues (piston slap, oil sludge problems, other failures) and had a Class Action Settlement. Other engines in the Sonata and Santa Fe (2.0 and 2.4)had recalls. But as far as I can see the 2.0L in the 2014-17 Elantra GT has escaped serious problems. Is that right? What is the experience of people that have/had them?

What engine problems should someone look out for in the 2014-2017 GT"s 2.0L engine?
Are there any notable failures? How long are they expected to last? 100K miles, 150K mile of 200K miles before problems start to emerge (and which problems)?
Is there any recommended maintenance, additions, precautions, etc. to stave off any of the noted problems?
What's the final assessment of the GT's 2.0L engine, now that we have a good 5 years of hindsight?

Thanks!
Change ur oil & filter about every 3500 miles

· Registered
2018 Hyundai ELANTRA Black
3 Posts

Thanks!
I have a 2018 Elantra with the 2.0 L and just had engine replacement at 57000. It was covered by warranty but I hope I’m not gonna need another one in 57000.

· Registered
2 Posts
I drive a 2014 Elantra GT 2.0 I bought new. Since about July 2014 when I got it I've put 116k miles on and aside from normal things like battery, brakes and tires, I have only had to change 2 ignition coils at different times, and resealed the oil pan the started leaking around 100k miles. I put a short air intake on it early on, and during a recent flooding I drove through foot deep water and it died after the water level splashed up to the air filter. The dealer "inspected" the engine for damage but said it was fine, and haven't had any issues from that with over 25k miles added. It's lived in Houston, TX the whole time and I'm pretty rough on it. I do check the oil every other day before driving because it does lose about a quart over about 3 weeks if I'm driving a lot. There's no visible oil leaks under the hood and no smoke in the exhaust. I have also only used synthetic oil since the first change, but only because I'm lazy and only change it every 6000 miles.
This has been an extremely cheap car to own and it's never made me worry about its reliability.

EDIT: 2 days after this post my 5 year old autozone battery died and had to be replaced.

· Registered
2 Posts
I drive a 2015 Elantra GT, bought it new. I just finished my last oil consumption test. Burn about 1.2L of oil every 1000KM. Replaced the CAT because the honeycomb is clog due to excessive oil consumption. Gas mileage was poor too. (11L/100KM City). The service guy told me that Hyundai will most likely refuse to replace my engine block because my car is not on the recall list + out of warranty. Nightmare!

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Elantra with the 2.0 L and just had engine replacement at 57000. It was covered by warranty but I hope I’m not gonna need another one in 57000.
Thats tough luck!! Assume thats the 2.0l 147hp mpi engine?? My son has a 17 Limited with 50k and knock-on wood no major issues at this point.

What issues did your 2018 have that caused the engine require replacement?? Thanks @JamesReeff1970

· Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 2015 Elantra GT, bought it new. I just finished my last oil consumption test. Burn about 1.2L of oil every 1000KM. Replaced the CAT because the honeycomb is clog due to excessive oil consumption. Gas mileage was poor too. (11L/100KM City). The service guy told me that Hyundai will most likely refuse to replace my engine block because my car is not on the recall list + out of warranty. Nightmare!
I have a 2016 gt with 140510km and it seems to burn excessive oil too! Trying to find a new cat and this one's all clogged up and sounds terrible! Power is reduced to at least 50-60%.
The oil consumption seems to be a major issue with this engine!
No leaks detected, oil changes on the regular, engine and compartment look oil free. Only place to go is the exhaust system I guess ..
Surprised Hyundai hasn't recalled for this issue.

· Registered
1 Posts
2014 GT that also burns excessive oil. I have to add a quart or two every month. The CAT had the clogging issue, too. Very disappointed in the reliability and confidence of this car (and Hyundai). Took it to 2 dealers. One wouldn't touch it because of engine issues- they are too backed up with engine issues and the other took a month to look at it and get back to me.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have a 2015 Elantra GT(I bought new), I started the oil consumption program in Sept 2022 with 144,305km, finished it in Dec 2022 with 149,048km. I provided them with as many oil change receipts as possible(I had alot of them). My car has had an engine repair while under warranty. They did the leak down compression test, in Dec 2022 many issues noted, outcome: needs a short block. I did not buy extended warranty, because of that Hyundai has denied my claim, with no explanation, no recommendations on repair or costs of repair. I've not even received the actual email from Hyundai Canada, the reply was from our dealership and was retyped by the service manager, no claim #, no name, no # contact for followup, not official Hyundai letterhead. Our dealership is anything but cooperative! Any suggestions?

· Super Moderator
174 Posts
Welcome to what seems to be the norm for Hyundai warranty. Wish I had good news, I just haven't heard good things about their warranty unless owners do ALL of the preventice maintenance at the dealerships.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts