Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, all of a sudden, the oil pressure started flickering, but not flashing as in low oil. Flickering like a bad connection.
Car starts and drives, but after about 15-20 min, just when the oil gets hot enough, the light comes on, it flickers, the idle goes low in drive while stopped and eventually stalls. It can be restarted. Drives ok the next day for about 20 minutes...
Oil level fine. 107k km.
Anybody seen this before?
Is my crankshaft bearing gone, so I need a new engine? Or just an oil pressure switch? Or an oil pump altogether?

see video - 2014 Elantra oil light flicker

Thanks.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick update.
I installed an oil pressure gauge and it seems the oil pressure goes down to 9 psi when the light comes on, after about 20 min of idling. I think the spec is 13psi-20psi. On a cold cold engine, it is around 70psi and then it keeps going down and down.
I installed a top of the line oil filter, no oil change, just to verify an odd theory and it seems to be running smooth now. No pressure drop and no oil light coming on after another hour idle.
The previous filter was the lowest of the junk.
I will drive the car around to see where we are now. I also changed the oil in the meantime.
Previous filter installed by mechanic for my 75 years old father in law. There are cowards that prey on the elderly cause for a $100 oil change, you better give me a decent filter. Same mechanic changed the tie rods, but no alignment was done. On the snow, the car felt like a boat on rough seas. Same mechanic never changed the cabin filter, it was a putrid disgusting brown mess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts