Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just thought I'd share some of the pics of the upgrade I did to my car. I wasn't fond of the basic radio, so I decided it was time to upgrade.

I bought a vertical screen unit from Seicane, and was really quite disappointed with the unit. For almost $400, the 9.7 inch screen was not bright and had a low quality resolution paired with a matte finish. Overall, it was difficult to see on a bright day, and everything looked almost muddy. Running ancient Android 6.1, paired with only 2GB of RAM, the unit's response was lethargic; apps lagged, the FM radio was pretty much useless, and Google Maps seemed to bog the system down to the point of crashing the unit once an hour. Worst part was the unit was made for an Elantra which has the air vents next to the radio, not below it, so there was a gap in the plastic between the radio and the trim. I even sent them pics of my car to verify it would fit. Their solution: send me a partial refund.

After some more research, I found a 13.3 inch unit from Phoenix Automotive. Excellent hardware specs, 4GB of RAM, and Android 9.1. After getting the unit, I wasn't fond of the user interface (the Launcher), so I found another that I liked better, and replaced it. Quite happy with the unit now.
0716161602a_HDR.jpg 0316190940_HDR.jpg 0330191849_HDR.jpg 0414201557b_HDR.jpg 0414201558_HDR.jpg 0415201502_HDR.jpg 0424201646.jpg 0415200933.jpg 0422201021_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This looks amazing. Would you mind sharing the link to the stereo and dash kit?
This particular unit is from here:
13.3" Android 8.1 Universal double din Navigation Radio with Motorized rotatable screen
Please note: the FM radio tuner is pretty much useless. You have to be VERY close to a strong station for it to pick up any signal, otherwise it is just static across the entire tuning band. I just keep my phone's hotspot turned on, and stream all my music, so it is not really an issue for me.

However, I also have a 10.1 inch unit with slightly better specs in both my Toyota and my Volvo. It is under $200 on eBay, and is an amazing unit.
10.1" AUX Android 10.0 Octa Core 1 DIN Car Radio Stereo WiFi GPS+Camera 4G+64G | eBay
The tuner on this unit is much better than the 13.3 inch, and actually works pretty well. It has the broadcast station input gain of maybe 80% of the factory radio, so it gets stations, but still not as well as the factory radio.

And the dash kit I bought from eBay includes the wiring harness adapter
Radio Stereo Installation Mounting Dash Kit Combo + Wire Harness HY4 | eBay

Here is a picture of the 10.1 inch radio installed in the Elantra showing the backup camera I installed. I used that radio for a trip to Ohio and back to test it out before the 13.3 had been delivered. I also had a SiriusXM touch screen receiver attached below the main radio screen. The 10.1 also supports split screen for running dual apps, such as navigation and music at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This particular unit is from here:
13.3" Android 8.1 Universal double din Navigation Radio with Motorized rotatable screen
Please note: the FM radio tuner is pretty much useless. You have to be VERY close to a strong station for it to pick up any signal, otherwise it is just static across the entire tuning band. I just keep my phone's hotspot turned on, and stream all my music, so it is not really an issue for me.

However, I also have a 10.1 inch unit with slightly better specs in both my Toyota and my Volvo. It is under $200 on eBay, and is an amazing unit.
10.1" AUX Android 10.0 Octa Core 1 DIN Car Radio Stereo WiFi GPS+Camera 4G+64G | eBay
The tuner on this unit is much better than the 13.3 inch, and actually works pretty well. It has the broadcast station input gain of maybe 80% of the factory radio, so it gets stations, but still not as well as the factory radio.

And the dash kit I bought from eBay includes the wiring harness adapter
Radio Stereo Installation Mounting Dash Kit Combo + Wire Harness HY4 | eBay

Here is a picture of the 10.1 inch radio installed in the Elantra showing the backup camera I installed. I used that radio for a trip to Ohio and back to test it out before the 13.3 had been delivered. I also had a SiriusXM touch screen receiver attached below the main radio screen. The 10.1 also supports split screen for running dual apps, such as navigation and music at the same time.

View attachment 3003
Thank you for replying, I bought the $200. It’s hard to pass up for that price. Is it mainly plug and play or should I get some help installing it? I’ve installed a stereo before but I didn’t have to splice any wires or anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts