Elantra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan has had the keyhole punched for the second time...(see images).

I don't want to go through insurnace again because I will have to pay another $500 deductible to fix this.

I never use the keyhole anyway as I use the remote to unlock and lock the car, which still works fine.

Does anyone know if it's ok to drive around with the hole punched, or of a DIY way to replace this damage?

Thanks in advance. I thought I'd ask here because I'm frustrated this has happened again...

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra SE 2.0L 6MT
44 Posts
I'd suggest at least plugging the hole or covering it to prevent someone from being tempted to try and break in. Unless this damage was caused by an attempted break-in. I never use my keyhole either so you should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The damage was caused by attempted break ins and this is the second time.

Do you have any suggestion on how to plug the hole or how to cover it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's an easy enough fix to do at home...I would replace due to the fact if your battery in the car goes dead and doors are locked...you'll be paying for someone to unlock it just so you can pop the hood to get to battery....I'm sure there is a YouTube video that will show you exactly what to do and what you will need

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an easy enough fix to do at home...I would replace due to the fact if your battery in the car goes dead and doors are locked...you'll be paying for someone to unlock it just so you can pop the hood to get to battery....I'm sure there is a YouTube video that will show you exactly what to do and what you will need
Thanks, I didn't even think of that! My battery dies more often than I'd like to admit from leaving my headlights on or something...

I found this replacement on ebay, but no videos on youtube. I'll try to figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to let everyone know that I replaced the Door Lock Cylinder today!

It took a few hours though because the cheap replacement I received did not have the exact OEM specifications. I spent a lot of time figuring out the issue and I had to file down some plastic in the door to get the replacement to fit.

All in all, I'm super satisfied.

Thanks everyone!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts