Elantra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having posted a review of what I like and dislike with the 2013 Elantra Gt is I noticed a lot of you have the same issue with the suspension . I am currently in a dispute with Hyundia Canada over the suspension issue and I would encourage each and everyone of you to contact there head office's in Canada and in the United States . The issue is the suspension . I also saw some saying we can get a sway bar for our cars to stop the car from jumping to the right in the rear end when hitting bumps . That's just rediculus . Why should we have to purchase a sway bar for this vehicle . Hyundia should pay for this upgrade or have a huge callback and fix this problem ! It is unsafe as far as I'm concerned and I'm a professional driver . I know when things are not right with a vehicle and the suspension geometry on this car is all wrong !
We have to band together on this or Hyundia will do nothing about it .
I'm having my Hyundia dealer look this car over and I want them to explain to me why this car is even on the road ?
I have sent multiple emails to there head office over a week ago and still have no reply . I've called multiple times also and they say my email will be looked at in three business days . That was a week ago .
Again I ask that you send an email regarding the unsafe suspension that this vehicle has . If I do not get a reply this week from Hyundia Canada then I will go to the media with this issue .
This car is unsafe and I want them to repair it . I'm not spending a cent on the suspension . It is there design problem . Not the buying public .

Thanks

Trip

·
Registered
36 Posts
Shocks for thought

Hey Trip, they had a huge discussion about this in the Hyundai Forums website. They said they replaced the rear shocks with KYB and it fixed the rear to smooth out the ride. Everyone was upgrading their rear shocks and said it worked wonders. The shocks can be bought on www.autorock.com for $56 a shock. I don't know if you want to go that route and still want to have Hyundai do something, but I have a feeling Hyundai is not going to do anything until they get 1000's of complaints. They probably won't do anything until there is proof that the rear is unsafe and causes accidents.
On the other hand, if nothing is done, go ahead and replace the rear shocks. I plan to replace mine by the end of this month, because of all the good feedback it is getting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Trip, they had a huge discussion about this in the Hyundai Forums website. They said they replaced the rear shocks with KYB and it fixed the rear to smooth out the ride. Everyone was upgrading their rear shocks and said it worked wonders. The shocks can be bought on www.autorock.com for $56 a shock. I don't know if you want to go that route and still want to have Hyundai do something, but I have a feeling Hyundai is not going to do anything until they get 1000's of complaints. They probably won't do anything until there is proof that the rear is unsafe and causes accidents.
On the other hand, if nothing is done, go ahead and replace the rear shocks. I plan to replace mine by the end of this month, because of all the good feedback it is getting.

Hey Nem . I'm not putting another cent into this car and no one else should have to either regarding the suspension . Did you ever drive the Touring ? Friggin wicked suspension . This thing is a death trap and everyone should contact Hyundia instead of just lying down like sheep and letting the big corporations crap all over you . Why should anyone have to spend there hard earned dollars on this car . It's just ridiculous . If we don't speak up , your right . Nothing will come of it . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's with you guys ??? I've had my car for over 6 months and have not experienced any suspension problems..... Are you road racing these cars ??? the GT is not designed for really aggressive driving..... It's a good basic commuter car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's with you guys ??? I've had my car for over 6 months and have not experienced any suspension problems..... Are you road racing these cars ??? the GT is not designed for really aggressive driving..... It's a good basic commuter car

Who said anything about aggressive driving . The suspension in this car does not work . It does not take much of a bump to make the back kick out to the right and that is with the traction control on . I leave the traction control on at all times and only shut it off to teach my daughter how traction control works on snow .. If you want the proof on your GT which you say does not have this issue , shut off the traction control and you will see what we are talking about . Also a note . This happens with the traction control on or off and the traction control corrects the problem quickly by forcing the car to go strait . If you do this with the traction control off , please be careful as you will have to keep the car in control yourself . I am from Toronto Ontario Canada where the roads in the city have progressively become worse ever since amalgamation of the entire area and every surrounding district has taken on Toronto's debt :( .
I am glad your car does not have this issue but in my case and many others , this is a serious design flaw and Hyundai should repair this issue at no cost to the car owner .
Thanks for your input .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also a little disappointed that there are not more replies on this subject :( :( :(
If you have this issue , please post here and I will add it to an e-mail I am sending to Hyundai . If we don't speak up Hyundai will just brush us aside and keep installing faulty parts on these great vehicles .

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I spent all day at the dealers and to no avail . It's a design flaw from ther factory with no cure from the factory . I was speaking to a mechanic and he said they have gone to an old style suspension in the rear ( Torsion Bar Susupension ) and it is no longer a independent setup as was the previous Touring version . he said it makes no sense to him either but there really is no cure . He said that Hyundai were trying to make the car a more smoother and comfortable ride which it is but I still don't like my cars doing hippity hopps on the road like an old piece of junk from the seventy's .
Stiffer shocks like you guys say may be the only fix here which is pretty sad from a huge company like Hyundai that is trying to get a better name for them selves and we the consumer have to fix there problem :( :( :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem suspension problem on my elantra gls 2012, 20 000km. It's very dangerous and the local dealer does not cooperate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spent the weekend in the car and I am liking this car less and less . Uncomfortable drivers seat :( :( :( . Poor suspension with four adults in the car :( :( :( . Feels very cramped . No close storage to put things other than the doors and center arm rest .
It now has 10,000 klm's on it . I'm not driving this car anymore unless I absolutely have to . My wife does the all driving now . What does that say about a car . I leave it in the driveway because it's garbage :( :( :( .

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a torsion beam suspension, it's not a design flaw. It is normal operation for a torsion beam suspension to absorb and distribute any road recoil in this way. The traction control has nothing to do with the torsion beam or the rear suspension set up. The KYBs improve the rear 'squireliness' and comfort but this is the suspension design, on the sedan and on the GT as well as hundreds of other FWD cars manufactured today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a torsion beam suspension, it's not a design flaw. It is normal operation for a torsion beam suspension to absorb and distribute any road recoil in this way. The traction control has nothing to do with the torsion beam or the rear suspension set up. The KYBs improve the rear 'squireliness' and comfort but this is the suspension design, on the sedan and on the GT as well as hundreds of other FWD cars manufactured today.
Yes I understand that and it does not work as you say you had to change the suspension to get it to reduce but not eliminate this problem . It is unsafe period . The 2011 elantra touring was rock solid on the road . The 2013 Gt is pure garbage and I guess it's gonna take a few injuries or a death before hyundai does something about it . So I disagree with you completely on this my friend . The car is unsafe .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drove a 1988 Honda CRX for 3 years and that I will tell you is a horrible bunnyrabbit on the road. good suspension layout but no weight in the car to benefit it. I have a 2013 GT I bought a few days ago (Saturday after thanksgiving) and I already planned to do work to it anyway. The design of the body on this car far exceeds any design the Mitsubishi Lancer had and look what they did with that car .. the Evolution. I would love to take a GT and do something similar to it to show Hyundai DOES have what it takes to be a performer. (Make Han from F&Furious Tokyo drift eat his words!) I will add a sway bar and the upgraded shocks mostly because I will add a hidden hitch to pull my seadoo in the summer. One mans garbage is another mans project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This my first post and i own a 2014 GT M/T. The OP's post does describe the suspension characteristics of this car accurately but i reject his contention that is dangerous. Knowing how his car behaves under certain road conditions requires an adjustment of driving style, not a recall.
The GT suspension design (as pointed out by others) has been a tried and tested design for many years, pioneered by VW in their original Golf. By careful selection of spring/damper rates and bushings (most notably the rear axle) the "bad" traits can be minimized. The fact is, Hyundai did not do a good job of this. Both ends of this car are underdamped and undersprung. Also the front and rear bushings feel like wet noodles. So, could they have done better? Yes. Is it dangerous? No. Realize that all vehicles sold in the US, at least, have to comply with the Federal Motor Safety Standards rules.
If i keep mine for any length of time i will attempt to improve the suspension. Different shocks/springs, anti-roll bars etc. I will probably be SOL with the bushings though. In most other respects this is a nice place to be every day, enjoy.
Roverman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much more proof do you people need to know you are driving an unsafe vehicle . Hyundia needs to recall all 2013 Elantra models . They are all death traps .

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2013/hyundai/elantra/suspension/problem.aspx
My 2015 GT wiggles laterally over any moderate to severe bump even when I'm driving straight. It sounds like the same problem described in the 2014 and earlier models. I'm just going to put the KYB shocks in and have a good alignment done to make sure the rear toe is in spec. After that, it is what it is. I'm not quite ready for a "March on Selma" over this car!

G

·
Registered
5 Posts
I honestly cant remember the last time I've had a rear suspension concern on an elantra come through my bay. axle clicks, exhaust rattles, timing cover leaks sure. but I've never heard anything negative from customers about their ride/drive characteristics and certainly havent heard them described as death traps. hope your situation gets resolved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts