Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.
A few months ago I purchased a 2013 Elantra with 140,000km mileage. I realized the shocks and struts had to be replaced because the car was bouncing about when hitting bumps and tilting hard when I was doing turns.

So I replaced the parts with KYB shocks/struts. The ride has considerably improved and handling/braking is much better.

However I am still experiencing some pretty noticeable bouncing left and right.

1. When I am driving the car on the road and I go over a bump like a manhole cover I can feel the rear hopping left and right.

2. When doing turns and the car goes over a bump the car rocks left and right pretty badly.

Has anyone had the same issue? I did some online research and it seems like a common problem with this car.

Is there anything else I should do like replacing the coil springs? Or install a rear sway bar?

I'm thinking about taking my car to a mechanic and doing an alignment just to be safe as well.

·
Super Moderator
107 Posts
Springs only make a car bouncy if there is nothing to absorb it. Before doing so I'd take it by a reputable shop and have them look at it and maybe even ride with you so they can give their opinion.

I honestly don't know if these vehicles have a sway bar but it sounds like (if they do) it isn't connected.

Don't take this wrong because I do not know your understanding of cars but just adding a rear sway bar will change the way the vehicle responds by making the rear of the car 'lighter' or want to oversteer, especially under braking/deceleration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Springs only make a car bouncy if there is nothing to absorb it. Before doing so I'd take it by a reputable shop and have them look at it and maybe even ride with you so they can give their opinion.

I honestly don't know if these vehicles have a sway bar but it sounds like (if they do) it isn't connected.

Don't take this wrong because I do not know your understanding of cars but just adding a rear sway bar will change the way the vehicle responds by making the rear of the car 'lighter' or want to oversteer, especially under braking/deceleration.
I think mine does not have a sway bar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I looked around for coil springs online and couldn't find any. I had to call my local Hyundai dealership and they charge $180.00 CAD per coil spring. Is that normal? That feels ridiculously over priced.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts