Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to the forum. I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has experienced an occasional (not always) rattle in the passenger rear area of the 2012 Elantra GLS. I have a video of the rattle on YouTube and will post it on this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the same thing in my 2013 GT. I've looked all over for it and cant find where it's coming from. i usually just turn up the radio to drown it out if it's bothering me. If my car wasn't a lease I would dig into it further and take the headliner down and pillars off, but, for now, I have more impotant things to spend time on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same thing in my 2013 GT. I've looked all over for it and cant find where it's coming from. i usually just turn up the radio to drown it out if it's bothering me. If my car wasn't a lease I would dig into it further and take the headliner down and pillars off, but, for now, I have more impotant things to spend time on.

I have noticed that my pillar in the back right in between the back right door window and the back windshield has begun to come apart quite a bit. This might be the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car damage 1.jpg

Here is the picture of my pillar coming apart in between my rear passenger-side window and the back windshield. I definitely need to get this fixed. But i don't know if this is where the rattle is coming from. UGH!! I hate rattles... This rattle is not constant, it comes and goes which is so annoying... At least I have a video of it :) Although I have noticed that this rattle usually occurs when its cold out or it's snowing (I live in New Jersey, this winter has been brutal!). Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thats not normal.... If that came apart on it own the dealer needs to fix that. As for the cold, plastic will expand and contract with temp. That might be the cause of the rattle. If thats is the case there isn't really anything you can do short of lining all joints with felt and even then it may not fix it or it could come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats not normal.... If that came apart on it own the dealer needs to fix that. As for the cold, plastic will expand and contract with temp. That might be the cause of the rattle. If thats is the case there isn't really anything you can do short of lining all joints with felt and even then it may not fix it or it could come back.
Thanks for the reply. I guess if it being cold is the culprit I'll learn to live with it. I would just turn my music up to cancel put the rattle, but when I turn it up, something in the driver door rattles. UGH! I actually brought it to the dealer a few months back and they said there was something wrong with the door's alignment, and they ended up fixing but it came back. I'll have them look and fix my driver door again. I do like my 2012 Elantra, but I've had more than a handful of problems ranging from loud rattles to it failing to start with just 200 miles on it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I guess if it being cold is the culprit I'll learn to live with it. I would just turn my music up to cancel put the rattle, but when I turn it up, something in the driver door rattles. UGH! I actually brought it to the dealer a few months back and they said there was something wrong with the door's alignment, and they ended up fixing but it came back. I'll have them look and fix my driver door again. I do like my 2012 Elantra, but I've had more than a handful of problems ranging from loud rattles to it failing to start with just 200 miles on it...
Thats very odd. I've had my 2013 GT for about 4 months and have 2200 miles on it and the only 2 issues I've had are the rattle that is very quiet and the other was due to stupidity at the dealership. One of the "techs" put coolant in with the washer fluid. The dealership fixed that though they actually replaed the tubes, sprayers, wipers, and resevoir. Allthogh, we have had a lot of issues with my wife's 2010, transmission, poppoing noises, alternator, vibrations, bad switches. I'm just happy it's still under warranty. I think we will be trading it in for either a new Elantra or Sonata soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats very odd. I've had my 2013 GT for about 4 months and have 2200 miles on it and the only 2 issues I've had are the rattle that is very quiet and the other was due to stupidity at the dealership. One of the "techs" put coolant in with the washer fluid. The dealership fixed that though they actually replaed the tubes, sprayers, wipers, and resevoir. Allthogh, we have had a lot of issues with my wife's 2010, transmission, poppoing noises, alternator, vibrations, bad switches. I'm just happy it's still under warranty. I think we will be trading it in for either a new Elantra or Sonata soon.
Yeah. I mean I do have a lot of miles on my 2012 Elantra (55,000 to be exact) so I guess rattles just come naturally after time and many miles. By the way, you said you will be trading it in for an Elantra or Sonata, I would definitely go for the Sonata if those are the only 2 choices, its only a bit more expensive, but you can tell that there is a lot more care put into it. My friend has the Sonata, and its only been in service for oil changes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah. I mean I do have a lot of miles on my 2012 Elantra (55,000 to be exact) so I guess rattles just come naturally after time and many miles. By the way, you said you will be trading it in for an Elantra or Sonata, I would definitely go for the Sonata if those are the only 2 choices, its only a bit more expensive, but you can tell that there is a lot more care put into it. My friend has the Sonata, and its only been in service for oil changes.
That's what I'm leaning towards, but if the payments will be higher than her current one we wont do it. Right now her car is doing well and we're happy with it, but it's too small for the baby seat. It fits, but no one can sit in the front seat with it in the car. The new style elantras have enough room, but the Sonata seems to be a much nicer car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts