Elantra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Noticed about 6 days ago that the brake lights won't shut off. Replaced the fuse, still wouldn't turn off so I took the fuse out.

A day later, I went to replace the brake light switch to see if that could be draining the battery. When I replaced it, the brake lights were still on. So, we took the fuse out again.

Two days later I went to turn the car on and it wouldn't start. The fuse was still out, so something else was draining the battery.

At this point, I bought a diagnostic reader and a jump starter.

Jump started the car earlier today and ran the diagnostic check. Nothing came back. Took the car to Advanced Auto Parts and they did a battery and alternator test. Everything came back healthy.

At this point, I'm at a loss. The only things I can think is that it's either—

1. Brake light switch draining battery somehow
  2. An electrical problem
Any advice, suggestions, or thoughts would be appreciated. We are taking it to our mechanic's shop on Monday. Hoping it's an affordable fix, because if not, it may be time to get a different car. I'd rather have an affordable fix and not a car payment, lol.

·
Super Moderator
64 Posts
If you are handy with a multi meter you can remove the negative cable and check AMP draw between the battery and cable:

after connecting it you can pull fuses one at a time after connecting the meter to see which fuse being pulled stops the draw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am just seeing this but check for recalls. I had a 2013 and if I remember correctly there was a recall for a "Brake Plunger" or something similar...I never had a problem but always took it in for recalls and that stands out to me. Good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
In cold weather my brake pedal sticks just enough to where the brake lights stay on. I just put my foot under the brake pedal, lift it up, and the lights go off. I need to look into it further. May be a grease point that needs attention.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In cold weather my brake pedal sticks just enough to where the brake lights stay on. I just put my foot under the brake pedal, lift it up, and the lights go off. I need to look into it further. May be a grease point that needs attention.
See my post above yours... May just need something simple if you've never checked the recalls... And recalls are free to have completed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey everyone,

Noticed about 6 days ago that the brake lights won't shut off. Replaced the fuse, still wouldn't turn off so I took the fuse out.

A day later, I went to replace the brake light switch to see if that could be draining the battery. When I replaced it, the brake lights were still on. So, we took the fuse out again.

Two days later I went to turn the car on and it wouldn't start. The fuse was still out, so something else was draining the battery.

Jump started the car earlier today and ran the diagnostic check. Nothing came back. Took the car to Advanced Auto Parts and they did a battery and alternator test. Everything came back healthy.

2. An electrical problem
Any advice, suggestions, or thoughts would be appreciated. We are taking it to our mechanic's shop on Monday. Hoping it's an affordable fix, because if not, it may be time to get a different car. I'd rather have an affordable fix and not a car payment, lol.
on older US cars the brake light switch was threaded, so it was adjustable unplug the switch and (rotate it clockwise if it is adjustable) good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

2. An electrical problem
Well not a mechanic but heres my two cents I'd start simple things like fluid level if low can cause light to to turn on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts