Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this Elantra 4 years ago and paid cash, it was a rental car before I owned it so the mileage was quite high....246,000+/- if I remember correctly. It now currently has around 298,000. It has been an absolute awesome car for the age and mileage, however I've been suspecting a thrown rod or something similar for awhile now. I work a ton of hours and my wife is usually stuck at home so it's not driven that often and I haven't had time to figure out what's wrong. Then a few days ago I receive a letter about the class action lawsuits concerning piston slap. I believe I am shit out of luck as far as being able to use that to get the motor replaced. I am also getting a code for the crank shaft sensor needing replaced. If anyone could give me a little insight as to what my options are concerning the recall and the issues I'm getting I would greatly appreciate it. I would also like to know my options as far as the motors I can use to swap out my old one. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nearly 300,000 miles, I would say its getting near the end.... especially with the notorious cylinder wall scuff. Just curious, I hope you paid less than $2,000 for this vehicle with that many miles.

My 2013 Elantra has 54,000 miles and was converted to synthetic oil at 1,000 miles. The oil has been changed every 4,000 miles and the antifreeze at 5 years and transmission fluid at 40,000 miles. I have had a bad spark plug coil, bad strut, bad stabilizer connector rod, bad rear brakes that locked up due to corrosion, interior condensation / humidity problem that could not be found at two dealers and now the notorious piston tapping is starting. Honestly, with only 54,000 miles and the way that it was babied, I will never buy another Hyundai. The piston / cylinder wear is unacceptable. Lesson learned. Buy cheap... get cheap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts