Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 hyundai elantra sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys and girls.
I have a Elantra with 190000 miles. love the car by the way. when i purchased the car a few years ago for next to nothing it had a head gasket failure. so i personally fixed and replaced everything on the top end of the engine. Lately the car seemed it was misfiring, i found out it was the plug connector underneath the coil packs. so that problem is gone. but now the car will hesitate and shake when trying to accelerate under a load. i am thinking it is the transmission but not entirely sure. The fluid of the tranny is a little darker than normal and spells a little burnt. but i believe its normal for its miles. no check engine lights, engine runs perfect and even when it starts to act up i throw it into neutral and the engine runs fine, so i am trying to rule out the engine on this one.

The tranny shifts fine and goes into gear smoothly. and when it does act up i floor it and nothing. its like its going into a limp mode. hard to diagnose with no check engine light, no leaks, proper fluid and nothing is getting hot according to my temp gun and the code reader diagnoses. please i am stumped and don't want to replace the transmission if not necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad or intermittent coil pack.....Pull out plugs first and look for a funky looking one..That will be the bad one..If they all look normal Pull the coil packs and look for any burnt marks or cracks in the the rubber boot..You can get them from rockauto.com for $17.62 delivered...And last reseat all the connectors going to the coil packs...If ypu can find a shop that has a PC oscilloscope and probe you can check the secondary coil voltage live to compare..Also you could get a meter and meter the coil packs they should all be the same resistance..

·
Registered
2005 hyundai elantra sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty for your help but everything from plugs wires and coil is new. I found a sticky injector. Theirs trash in my system. Runs great now i ran seafoam through the car. But have to pull my tank i would guess if it keeps happening

1 - 3 of 3 Posts