Elantra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine oil leak on top of the engine block, i'm thinking about to replace the gasket, can anyone give me some advice on what to do please? or any resourses i should read? if i'm wrong about leaking from gasket, so where do you think the leak from?

I am very appreciate for your help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not sure about this, this forum is more about the new Elantra, but if you pick up a Haynes manual from your local auto parts store it should have a guide on how to replace the gasket.

·
Registered
173 Posts
sounds like your valve cover gasket needs to be replaced, but you may want to uplaod a picture of where it's leaking from just to be sure. vlave cover gaskets are very easy to do and for about $30 you can get a really good quality gasket. I always recomend Felpro rubber gaskets. They will last forever and are reusable. if you choose to do the work yourself here are the steps

1. To start. there shoudl be a plastic cover on the engine, remove it. if its not there it doesn't matter thats just one less step.
2. next there will be a plastic cover on the left side (if youre looking from the front of the car) of the motor. remove the top 2 bolts.
3. remove the spark plug wires from the top of the engine. (or coils, I dont know which your car has) Make sure you know which one goes were for putting it all back together. use tape and a mrker of you have to.
4. unbolt the valve cover and remove it.
5. remove the old gasket. make sure all of it comes out then use a rag to wipe the area where the gasket touches the valve cover and the engine.
6. install the new valve cover gasket onto the valve cover. it should stay on the valve cover once it's installed
7. install the valve cover on the engine. use any new harware that comes with the new gasket and dont over tighten the valve cover bolts. they only need to be a little more than finger tight. I usually start from the top left and work my way clockwise a few times the first time around is just to get them snug then I actually tighten them down on the next 1 or 2 passes.
8. dont forget to reinstall the 2 bolts from the side cover.
9. install the spark plug wires.
10. install the plastic engine cover

should take about 30 minutes depending on how bad the old gasket is. you may need a scraper or pick to get the old gasket of. most of the time they just come out with a little effort.

·
Registered
137 Posts
sounds like your valve cover gasket needs to be replaced, but you may want to uplaod a picture of where it's leaking from just to be sure.
I think the picture he already posted is about as good as it's going to get. ;)

How many miles on the car ? And is it leaking enough that you need to add oil between changes........or is it just a cosmetic thing ??

IF the mileage is high.....that is 75,000 or more.....I'd suggest checking the valve cover bolts first to be sure they are snug and then if you aren't having to add oil and there are no drips on the floor, I'd suggest not messing with it.......yet.

Most of what I see on your picture might be mostly normal for a high mileage engine but I'm not sure what caused the stains on the exhaust manifold cover (marked HOT) because a valve cover leak probably wouldn't go there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the picture he already posted is about as good as it's going to get. ;)

How many miles on the car ? And is it leaking enough that you need to add oil between changes........or is it just a cosmetic thing ??

IF the mileage is high.....that is 75,000 or more.....I'd suggest checking the valve cover bolts first to be sure they are snug and then if you aren't having to add oil and there are no drips on the floor, I'd suggest not messing with it.......yet.

Most of what I see on your picture might be mostly normal for a high mileage engine but I'm not sure what caused the stains on the exhaust manifold cover (marked HOT) because a valve cover leak probably wouldn't go there.
Sorry, I'm at work. The picture must be blocked. My bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your suggestion, especially BKohs, your instructions is very clear and details.

This is my wife car, with 75,000 miles on it (Easy Rider), recently, i did add some oil between the oil changes.

Thank you so much for your help.

Danny

·
Registered
173 Posts
You're very welcome. I just did the valve cover gasket on my father-in-law's 03 elantra gt so it's fresh in my memory. as far as the stains on the exhaust heat shield, you can either try spraying some brake cleaner on it or try something like Engine Brite. It's an engine cleaner that you spray on and let it soak then rinse with water. I would recomend waiting till after you do the valve cover gasket though. Before you go get everything for it, you may want to pull your spark plugs and see of there is any oil around them. If there is its a good sign that the gasket is leaking. If you have a lot of oil around the spark plugs I would recomend changing them as well. You would also want to clean out the area if you find oil. I use a rag and a pair of needle nose pliers. With the spark plugs out, stick the rag in the hole then use the pliers to twist it around and pull it out. you may have to do it a few times to get all the oil out. It doesn't have to be perfect, just make sure there are no pools of oil in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updated:

The weather is so bad over here, one snow after another, very cold, below 0, but yesterday it gave me half day warm (45), so I made it done. I did the seafoam, drain old oil before replacing the gasket.

Again, I want to thank you everyone.

Danny

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad to hear it worke out for you. It's so much more satisfying to do the work yourself and see the results rather than paying someon to do it. You just saved yourself a ton of money. I've seen some shops charge as much as $500-600 to replace a valve cover gasket as simple as yours. My wife once paid $1300 to have hers done. It was a V6 Maxima, but still, I could have done it for maybe $200. Let us know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Someone here is always willing to offer advice and tips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,
I will be replacing my fiances valve cover gasket tonight on her 03 Elantra and had a couple questions:

What should the valve cover bolts be torqued to?
What sequence should the bolts be torqued in?

I need to know because one of the valve cover bolts has already been sheered off, so I don't want to do that to any others when tightening them down. If anyone has a Haynes manual and could let me know, I would very much appreciate it!

Thank You!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts