Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just wondering if anyone knows what can cause a clutch to slip after driving for about 20 min or more. I changed the around 95,000 miles. I now have 130,000 miles. I drive 50 miles to work and back every day. So I total about 100 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week. I'm driving 90 percent on the highway driving at 70 miles an hr for the whole time i'm on the highway. So I'm saying I may have put about 40,000 miles on the clutch but about 36,000 of it was driving in 5th gear at 70 with no shifting.

I'm not sure what could cause the clutch to slip after driving for 20 min. It takes about 50 min to get to work. Any ideas? The crazy part is it could be slipping a lot one day where I have to feather the gas peddle after I've been driving for a while and the next day I can test it out by pushing on it and it won't slip at all no matter what I do as long as I'm not driving a long time. If I can't figure this out I'm just going to have to sell it. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Elantra has a weird clutch assembly. From what I read, if it is not setup properly the first time around, it will start slip after a few minutes of driving. The only cure is replacement AGAIN. Use a reputable shop or national transmission chain (avoid AAMCO) with a warranty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Elantra has a weird clutch assembly. From what I read, if it is not setup properly the first time around, it will start slip after a few minutes of driving. The only cure is replacement AGAIN. Use a reputable shop or national transmission chain (avoid AAMCO) with a warranty.
replacing a clutch isn't cheap, and as this car ages it will have you thinking more about selling it. might be best to get rid of it for an automatic unless you're able to get the clutch job done for a decent price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts