Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2008 Elantra that had 60k miles on it at the time of purchase. The previous owner decided to buy a new car and trade this one in instead of paying to have the 60k maintenance work done, but once I got involved I made sure those items were completed at the time of purchase.

Anyway, I've driven the car about 800 miles so far and on 2-3 occasions I've noticed a slight "popping" sound when braking during a turn. Here's a specific scenario:

I was turning in to the local Starbucks. The turn was at about 70-80 degrees and required a bit of braking, and as I began to turn that's when I heard the noise.

There's no grinding--I've heard/felt grinding brakes before and I know it's not that. It sounds as if it's coming from the rear of the car but that might just be weird acoustics from being inside the car. It isn't a metallic sound, either. The closest thing I can compare it to is if you were to take 2 thick plastic cups and sort of knock them together. It isn't an extremely loud sound and it only lasts for 1-2 seconds while executing a turn. As I said, I've only heard it maybe 2-3 times so far.

For what it's worth, I bought this from a Hyundai dealership and their mechanics checked everything out. I realize that shady business still goes down at dealerships but it isn't like I bought it from "Joe's Auto Shack" up on the hill.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is it something that I should be worried about or something that'll get worse or is this simply a "quirk" that the Elantras have? I've only owned Buicks before so I don't know. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Definitely something suspension related. My guess would be either the tie rod connection, control arm, or maybe the ball joint?

You might want to try going to a different Hyundai dealership. Or even contact Hyundai USA, make them aware of your issue and have them send you to a dealership. At least that way, the dealership guys will take your issue far more serious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts