Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I hope im posting this in the right thread. I have an 05 Elantra GT about 127,000 miles on it. It has always run great until a few days ago I was driving back from a trip, about 1500 miles there and back and first I noticed it idiled really rough. More rough than any car I have ever been in. Then of course the check engine light came on and started flashing.Then while driving on the interstate it had very little accelaration power and the RPMS stayed high. Around 3000. Normally one take of gas gets us back home from where we were at we had to fill up a second time about half way home. The car overall sounds horrible!! Any idea what this could be. i have googled alot and it tells me a million different things. I take good care of her. Regular oil changes and dont driver her much. Work is a 6 miles trip there and back. A few years ago her transmission blew and we replaced it with a used one. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas befoer I take her in to get looked at. Money is tight so I wanna have an idea before I go in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
HI I'm not an expert on engines anymore. I used to be A.S.E. certified years ago. This sounds like a stupid answer. but one of your spark plugs might be broken. this will cause your engine to run rough & your check engine like to come on & possibly use more fuel. One of the cylinders is not getting spark ( cause running rough - only 3or5 cylinders running ), of course this will cause the check engine light to come on. And possibly using fuel because it is sending fuel to a dead cylinder & not getting burned off.
Have your car checked at a auto parts store. they will connect the OBD sensor & will give you the code ( this will be free ).
Hopefully it may just be the spark plug and maybe just the wire. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I,m sorry. I forgot about your high rpm problem. that could be your idle speed sensor which could also cause all of the above

1 - 3 of 3 Posts