Hyundai Elantra Forum

Hyundai Elantra Forum (https://www.elantraforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance Modifications (https://www.elantraforum.com/forum/34-performance-modifications/)
-   -   Remote Start?? (https://www.elantraforum.com/forum/34-performance-modifications/921-remote-start.html)

Elantramax 01-30-2013 08:35 PM

Remote Start??

Hi all. I used to work as an Auto Tech. And I am pretty sure that I can install the Hyundai Remote Start on my 13 GS Coupe. But I have a question. Do I need to have the PCM reprogrammed??? I'd like to do someday, But dont want to pay the Dealer about $800. $350 Module/Remotes, 2.5 Hours Labor, Shop supplies, Tax. Just shy of $800 I estimate.

Thanks

acceleracion 03-09-2013 07:53 PM

eh i'm sure its easy specially since we didnt pick that technology package the only thing is that the car 'i think' has canbus. so we gotta buy a little interface that 'talks' to the etacs system from the aftermarket alarm. its about 700 from best buy for a viper 2 way digital display alarm/remote starter. i installed one on a 97 elantra tho and it wasnt that horrible.

Eddie

Elantramax 03-10-2013 07:58 AM

All cars manufactured after 2008 are CAN. Not OBDII. Its a different computer system than your 97.

The Hyundai unit only runs about $350 from the dealer. And includes harnesses to plug into the onboard connectors. And I think it was about 12 wire tap ins.

I want it. Cant afford it at the moment. Only job I could get pays $7.50 Hr. And lucky if I can get 20 hours a week.

djnatedogg 03-11-2013 04:04 PM

It would be easy if it wasn't for the antitheft system. OBD2 is still the onboard diagnostic type btw, CAN bus is just the communication between modules. OBD3 is being used in some manufactures now, although the 2013 Elantra's are still OBD2.

import_nation 03-11-2013 06:57 PM

$350 is not bad if its the OEM option with a warranty.

I've seen some aftermarket remote starters for around $150 but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

acceleracion 03-22-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnatedogg (Post 3993)
It would be easy if it wasn't for the antitheft system. OBD2 is still the onboard diagnostic type btw, CAN bus is just the communication between modules. OBD3 is being used in some manufactures now, although the 2013 Elantra's are still OBD2.

thats kinda what i thought. do we really have an antitheft system? i mean it just seems like keyless entry. i'm going to try to lock the car with the key fob with the doorwindows open then unlock the inside and open the door if it opens without making noise thats usually how you can tell that it is just a keyless entry system.

acceleracion 03-22-2013 02:22 PM

i like the factory option price point. however what i'm not gona like is carrying around 2 keyfobs is that how it works? or does it integrate through a combination on the current key fob?

djnatedogg 03-22-2013 02:28 PM

Factory antitheft may not be one of those loud annoy your neighbor car alarms, but what it does is disable the ignition if the right key is not in the ignition.

acceleracion 03-22-2013 02:33 PM

does it?

djnatedogg 03-22-2013 02:42 PM

I'd put money on it... I worked at Kia, and every new car had programmable keys