User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whatís the deal with Hyundai Elantras?

Hey everyone,
Iím looking at fuel efficient cars on Craigslist and like the mpgs that Priuses get. I stumbled upon Elantras and love the look of them. Iíve noticed that they tend to be cheaper and have lower mileage... which I find suspicious, because all the Priuses have high mileage. Why are people getting rid of their Elantras so soon? I canít make up my mind about which to get- and also found out that people are upset because their Elantras arenít getting the mpgs advertised- Hyundai was actually sued for it. Between a 7k 150kmile 2010 fully loaded Prius, or 2013 70kmile Elantra for 7.5k? Which do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Getting good gas mileage is about 50% engine and it's specifications and 50% maintenance and care. Seeing as you will be the second owner of the vehicle you probably have no idea how hard that car was driven in the miles before you. Constant maintenance and care is a big key to getting good gas mileage. My Father used to tell me when I was a kid (before I got my license) that I would come to find out that the most expensive part on a car is the gas pedal. As a kid I didn't understand that he meant the harder you push the gas pedal the more gas you use....I have been a mechanic for many years and have owned many cars and I can tell you I got outstanding gas mileage on every single car. Only thing they had in common is they were all imports. Nissan, Honda and Hyundai....some tips if you care to read...

- maintain proper air pressure in your tires (tires actually have a date of manufacture on them, anything over 5 years is subject to dryrotting and a blow out)
- do not let your fuel run below a quarter of a tank as the sediment in the bottom of the tank will make it's way into the injectors and subsequently starve your vehicle
of fuel....i dump a can of injector cleaner every 1,000 miles
- change your oil every 3,000 miles regardless. If you constantly circulate fresh oil through your engine then there is no room for sludge build up hence maintaining
good oil pressure
- (This is just me and probably an overkill) but I do frequent tune-ups. Change the air filter every other oil change. Change the plugs every 5,000 miles. If you remember anything at all it's that a car needs clean fuel, good spark and fresh air for optimum performance.
- On Hyundai's specifically use factory OEM oil filters...trust me on this one....
- Remember the other fluids in your car are just as important to replace just not as frequent...includes brake fluid, coolant and trans fluid....gear oil if your have a manual trans
- Internal engine flush are a good way to get all the deposits flush out of the system. Sea Foam does a good job of this.
- Hyundai's are designed, developed and tested to run at peak performance on Hyundai manufactured parts so when you can always use OEM and don't be fooled by stuff that is aftermarket. Even though some aftermarket stuff does work, it's not necessarily going to give you better MPGs or performance.

Good luck with your purchase

One more thing...my Nissan has 325,000 miles on it and have owned since new. I have lived by this simple maintenance philosophy and I would drive that Nissan around the world tomorrow without batting an eye....

2019 Hyundai Elantra 2.0
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DE

"Train your people for success when they leave, treat them so they won't want to"

Last edited by sooperkleen19; 10-27-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 PM

Garage
We regularly get 40+ out of our 2017 elantra limited on highway trips in winter and 38+ in summer with ac on, the 2.0 performs pretty well for us. 27,600 miles on it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Most used Elantra's are rental fleet cars or people who decided they wanted something nicer with more power. My 2017 model has been a great car and getting 41-43 MPG on the highway and about 33 City is a win win for me.
Maintenance is the most important thing and even if you're NOT the original owner you still get 6 years/ 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and that's something Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Toyota and Dodge don't offer. BTB is like 3yr/36,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in