User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Safety question

Hi All,

I was in an accident yesterday morning and it doesn't look good. For those that aren't aware, a full size truck bumper actually hits about a mm into the front bumper and then climbs up the hood. Whodathunkit??

Anyways, jokes aside, I have a question. I literally hit the back bumper of a full size pickup yesterday morning, and it appears that almost all of the safety features activated on the car. Hurray for crumple zones! Hood crumpled up like paper. Engine is tilted at 45 degree angle to drop under the firewall. Steering column popped loose and flopped into my lap to avoid potential injury. It all looks good, until you realize that the air bags never deployed. While I am glad they didn't from the burns I would have had, and without them deploying, there is at least a chance they won't total it completely. However, that is a little scary to me. Given all of the other safety features that activated, why in the world wouldn't the airbags have gone off??? I am wondering if I even WANT it to be repaired for fear that they won't operate like they should.

The accident was literally less than 10mph, so I was never at risk. But I have small children and it makes me wonder if there is a risk here...

Anyone want to weigh in on their thoughts?

I LOVE this car. It is a 2017 Elantra Value with the Tech package, so it is not a super flashy car...but I have about 80k miles on it already, and most of those miles spent at 75mph+ (speed limits in my area). At that 75mph speed, I average around 46mpg on a tank...so I am SUPER happy for that. Trying to replace that kind of efficiency outside of a Hybrid is pretty difficult, and appears to almost be an anomaly for the Elantra's even. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyundai_Side.jpg (332.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Hyundai_Front.jpg (311.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Hyundai_EngineDrop.jpg (132.9 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 PM

I was in a bad accident with my 2018 sel. I was t-boned by an f 150. Right on the side pillar. Totaled my car and pushed me through the intersection until i spun off. I am alive because of the safety features. My car was totaled. I went out and got a 2019 sel. The extra safety bracing kept it from smashing me between the seats. I'm 65 and still alive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190219_142350_1561511426091.jpg (133.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190219_142425_1561511457525.jpg (103.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20190219_143727_1561511499863.jpg (106.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20190219_142401_1561511552627.jpg (120.1 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM

Continued. Mine deployed. It appears that the sensors for you airbags were just below the force of the impact and the lack of speed kept them from deploying as you see mine did deploy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page