2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Premium: 4 month ownership review - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Premium: 4 month ownership review

Hello everyone,,
After owning my car for 8 months and putting a paltry 3911 miles on her, I figured it was time to give a short real review of my daily driver. I traded in a 2007 Infiniti G35 for this ceramic white Elantra. Would I do it again?

Probably not.

I'd go for the Electric blue with a manual.

I want to cover three subjects, the car, the driving experience, and the dealership experience.

The car.

Drive train - A 1.6L 201hp Engine powers this heavy little thing. At 3104 pounds, it is only 300 pounds lighter than my G35 was. I chose, most likely as a poor decision, the model with the DCT transmission. I have not had a single issue with the DCT overheating or having shifting problems, however most of my driving has been done in colder weather.

Manufacturing Location - I do not know how much of a different the South Korean vs. the Georgia based location makes, however with the car being shipped from overseas the paint was heavily contaminated with particular matter. I am also still having soot / dirt run off from both side view mirrors and other locations on the car. Just a thing to look out for.

Paint - The paint, thus far with michigan roads and road patches, has held up so far in city driving. Upon delivery there was a paint chip on the hood and in side of the door frame. Recently, a spot of paint came off in a very random and weird location. I have no clue how the paint chipped off here, it's still a mystery.

Interior quality - Coming from an Infiniti the interior quality definitely takes a dive. However this is, again, a Hyundai. In the past few thousand miles I have developed a rattle in the front center dash, a weird noise from the driver door, the steering wheel squeaks badly when turnt, and the seat has developed indentations where I have sat. I do not know if these are flukes or poor manufacturing however I have an appointment with the dealership to discuss these issues. The interior plastic also scuffs and nicks easily.

Fuel Economy - Fuel economy in the winter is always poor, and I have been averaging around 23 - 24 city, with around 31 highway in the winter. When it is warmer and above 50 the average fuel economy has risen to around 27 city and 33 highway. Hopefully this continues to improve.

Illumination - The headlights are incredibly bright and clear, much more so than my Infiniti, the DRL's are also a nice touch. And interesting feature is if the hand brake is activated the DRL's turn off.

Cargo Space - It has shopping bag hooks in the trunk, woohoo! Cargo space is adequate.

Audio System - The Premium model has an Infinity sound system. It's uh... okay at best. It does add a little thump in the bass with the sub however the Infiniti with it's stock system sounded much better overall.

BlueLink - By far one of the nicest features is the free 3 years of bluelink. This is handy for remote start, remote lock, location positions, SoS, and car side service. However I really worry about what is being tracked against each user and if they can use that against you for warranty claims. It's also possible they're selling your data of where you go and your age group to marketers. Not the most enjoyable thought out there with always connected cars.

Backup Camera / Blindspot detection - This has saved my ass more times than I can count, while the backup camera doesn't have beeping for proximity, it does use the proximity sensors (used for blind spot) to alert you to cross traffic before it pops up on the camera. It also shows in the little gauge screen which direction it's going.

Windows - Holy cow do they go up and down fast. Driver side has auto up and down. The rest are manual, which isn't awful. If the window is down a bit and you close the door it does rattle slightly.

2- What makes a car enjoyable? Is it the driving dynamics, the peace and mind of reliability, the comfort of the interior, or perhaps the raw experience of having to be fully in control to make the most of your vehicle? The Elantra Sport ticks a few of these, but falls short in other. I believe the driving dynamics of the sport model is starkly different from the standard model.

The upgraded suspension, rear independent multi-link in the rear, and larger tires lead to a much more engaging and connected feeling to the road. However, these are not without merits. Upon a 2 hour drive from Michigan to Indiana I had both my parents in my car. My father, being in the front seat, was queasy the entire time and the rear seats were not at all comfortable for my mother. You. Feel. Every. Single. Bump. Whether you like it or not, and being from Michigan you have to constantly dodge potholes and bumps else the ride becomes bothersome.

When the car is cold there is an actual power limiter built into the car, which can be interesting if you need to merge suddenly or accelerate quickly after a cold start. I understand it's bad for the engine and drive train but you can literally floor it and it just... kinda goes.

I think the car is a good daily driver, but it's not a fast daily driver. 201hp is still more than enough for any use, and you can use it all and not have to worry about getting a ticket in everyday use. Plus the exhaust note is so much fun to listen to with the windows down, though it's still present in the car. Nice side note is it's not artificial, it's the actual exhaust.

3- The dealership experience. Let me get this straight, Hyundai needs to fix their dealerships. The experience from the service staff is subpar and at least at my location they do not seem to give a rats ass about any of my problems. I have been told "Oh we probably can't fix that, and we don't have time to go chasing after small issues". This is not how you retain customers and is one of the reasons I would not purchase a Hyundai in the future.

I tried to keep this short but now I need to go join my dad in MHW to take down Nergigante.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetterJhon View Post
Hello everyone,,
After owning my car for 8 months and putting a paltry 3911 miles on her, I figured it was time to give a short real review of my daily driver. I traded in a 2007 Infiniti G35 for this ceramic white Elantra. Would I do it again?

Probably not.

I'd go for the Electric blue with a manual.

I want to cover three subjects, the car, the driving experience, and the dealership experience.

The car.

Drive train - A 1.6L 201hp Engine powers this heavy little thing. At 3104 pounds, it is only 300 pounds lighter than my G35 was. I chose, most likely as a poor decision, the model with the DCT transmission. I have not had a single issue with the DCT overheating or having shifting problems, however most of my driving has been done in colder weather.

Manufacturing Location - I do not know how much of a different the South Korean vs. the Georgia based location makes, however with the car being shipped from overseas the paint was heavily contaminated with particular matter. I am also still having soot / dirt run off from both side view mirrors and other locations on the car. Just a thing to look out for.

Paint - The paint, thus far with michigan roads and road patches, has held up so far in city driving. Upon delivery there was a paint chip on the hood and in side of the door frame. Recently, a spot of paint came off in a very random and weird location. I have no clue how the paint chipped off here, it's still a mystery.

Interior quality - Coming from an Infiniti the interior quality definitely takes a dive. However this is, again, a Hyundai. In the past few thousand miles I have developed a rattle in the front center dash, a weird noise from the driver door, the steering wheel squeaks badly when turnt, and the seat has developed indentations where I have sat. I do not know if these are flukes or poor manufacturing however I have an appointment with the dealership to discuss these issues. The interior plastic also scuffs and nicks easily.

Fuel Economy - Fuel economy in the winter is always poor, and I have been averaging around 23 - 24 city, with around 31 highway in the winter. When it is warmer and above 50 the average fuel economy has risen to around 27 city and 33 highway. Hopefully this continues to improve.

Illumination - The headlights are incredibly bright and clear, much more so than my Infiniti, the DRL's are also a nice touch. And interesting feature is if the hand brake is activated the DRL's turn off.

Cargo Space - It has shopping bag hooks in the trunk, woohoo! Cargo space is adequate.

Audio System - The Premium model has an Infinity sound system. It's uh... okay at best. It does add a little thump in the bass with the sub however the Infiniti with it's stock system sounded much better overall.

BlueLink - By far one of the nicest features is the free 3 years of bluelink. This is handy for remote start, remote lock, location positions, SoS, and car side service. However I really worry about what is being tracked against each user and if they can use that against you for warranty claims. It's also possible they're selling your data of where you go and your age group to marketers. Not the most enjoyable thought out there with always connected cars.

Backup Camera / Blindspot detection - This has saved my ass more times than I can count, while the backup camera doesn't have beeping for proximity, it does use the proximity sensors (used for blind spot) to alert you to cross traffic before it pops up on the camera. It also shows in the little gauge screen which direction it's going.

Windows - Holy cow do they go up and down fast. Driver side has auto up and down. The rest are manual, which isn't awful. If the window is down a bit and you close the door it does rattle slightly.

2- What makes a car enjoyable? Is it the driving dynamics, the peace and mind of reliability, the comfort of the interior, or perhaps the raw experience of having to be fully in control to make the most of your vehicle? The Elantra Sport ticks a few of these, but falls short in other. I believe the driving dynamics of the sport model is starkly different from the standard model.

The upgraded suspension, rear independent multi-link in the rear, and larger tires lead to a much more engaging and connected feeling to the road. However, these are not without merits. Upon a 2 hour drive from Michigan to Indiana I had both my parents in my car. My father, being in the front seat, was queasy the entire time and the rear seats were not at all comfortable for my mother. You. Feel. Every. Single. Bump. Whether you like it or not, and being from Michigan you have to constantly dodge potholes and bumps else the ride becomes bothersome.

When the car is cold there is an actual power limiter built into the car, which can be interesting if you need to merge suddenly or accelerate quickly after a cold start. I understand it's bad for the engine and drive train but you can literally floor it and it just... kinda goes.

I think the car is a good daily driver, but it's not a fast daily driver. 201hp is still more than enough for any use, and you can use it all and not have to worry about getting a ticket in everyday use. Plus the exhaust note is so much fun to listen to with the windows down, though it's still present in the car. Nice side note is it's not artificial, it's the actual exhaust.

3- The dealership experience. Let me get this straight, Hyundai needs to fix their dealerships. The experience from the service staff is subpar and at least at my location showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ they do not seem to give a rats ass about any of my problems. I have been told "Oh we probably can't fix that, and we don't have time to go chasing after small issues". This is not how you retain customers and is one of the reasons I would not purchase a Hyundai in the future.

I tried to keep this short but now I need to go join my dad in MHW to take down Nergigante.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Thank you my issue has been solved,....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page