Elantra Forum banner

peeling leather steering wheel

30K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  elantra23235 
#1 · (Edited)
I have read a lot about Elantras (and other models) experiencing issues with the leather steering wheel wrap peeling and finally experienced this myself...

I purchased my 2013 SE couple in September and just noticed my wheel has a patch at 12 o'clock. It looks as if the leather broke down in that area and started peeling when I rubbed my finger across the patch. I do not wear rings, hand lotion or use any kind of cleaner on the wheel ... so it looks as if this issue is affecting the 2013 models as well.

So I brought the car into the dealer, they took pics and said I should hear back in a day or so as they needed to get approval from the Hyundai rep.

#2 ·
**UPDATE**

Ok so my dealer has my replacement steering wheel on order but could not verify if the replacements' leather was a better quality.

So I called Hyundai customer service and opened a case.... surprisingly they told me there are no reported customer complaints regarding "peeling steering wheels" so as a result any replacement wheels we may get due to a dealership claim will most likely be the same quality thus the potential for the replacement peeling again in the future.

The Hyundai C/S rep who I spoke with mentioned that he used to work for a leather company and knows that the quality and thickness of the skins can vary from batch to batch so it is possible that the quality of each steering wheel wrap can also vary. I just hope my replacement wheel is one of those "better quality" skins.

In any case, he also mentioned that Hyundai is very serious regarding the tracking of trends and addressing of trended complaints so if you are having this issue....PLEASE call Hyundai C/S and complain about the peeling leather so they can address it as a real issue!! Hyundai C/S # 800-633-5151

#3 ·
thanks for posting this, i wouldn't be surprised if there are being experiencing this issue with their steering wheels but not reporting it. people tend to ignore issues like these or don't take any action right away on getting it dealt with.

hopefully this will give people the kick in the arse they need to get this problem dealt with.

how long did it take for the Hyundai dealership to replace the steering wheel?

#6 ·
From the posts I have found regarding the peeling steering wheels ... Hyundai must of got a very big batch of bad leather!

Mine is peeling at exactly 12 o'clock .. it's like a patch where the top layer peeled off and its now the patch is about one inch of rough leather. In addtion it started on my shift knob as well. Note... I only have the car 8 months and do not wear rings or anykind of hand lotion. It's just cheap crap leather I guess.

#7 ·
UPDATE - well the dealership replaced my steering wheel and just ordered me a new shift knob. The leather on the new wheel doesn't feel any different ...other than it's brand new. I think I will treat these with leather protector going forward to prevent any more peeling issues. Too bad the leather tanning process they use for Hyundai cars are not as good as Acura/Honda ... because I never had a problem with those leather parts.

#9 ·
Yes, I have the sunshades and also pickup Mcquires leather cleaner and protector... so I hope this will keep the leather from peeling again. Hyundai said the steering wheel is covered for one year (under the parts replacement policy) and the replacement shift knob was a one-time courtesy.

#10 ·
My steering wheel also peeled. When Hyundai replaced it, I was told that is was a one-time courtesy replacement. I guess they could potentially be buying me a new steering wheel every year if they acutally warrantied it for a year. My steering wheel peeled at 11 months. It peeled a the bottom where my wedding ring sits when I hold the wheel.

#13 ·
leather steering wheel peeling

I have a 2013 elantra and my steering wheel is also peeling. It started happening on the top after about 11 months. My dealer is replacing it under warranty. The leather isn't actually peeling it's the finish coating on top. I've worked with leather for the past 25 years , and this finish is going to be a problem. Hyundai must know this by now.

#15 ·
Mine too! I will take a picture of it tomorrow and not only post it on here, but send to Hyundai corporation as a complaint or a claim on faulty leather finish coat peeling. I have the approval under warranty to have it replaced next week. I think I'm going to throw on a steering wheel cover right away when I get the new one. They make pretty decent looking leather steering wheel covers nowadays. (Coming from a guy who hates tacky ****)

#20 ·
Peeling Wheel

My 2012-2103 Hyundai Elantra steering Wheel is Peeling at the 4 O'Clock position
My Elantra only has 40,000 Kilometers. It looks like a thin plastic coating over man
made leather, Like a cheap Chinese belt looks good when you buy it then turns to
crap after light use. I take care of my car and like it very much. Too Bad Korea is
sloppy on this detail. The other problem is ROAD NOISE. Too much for this price of
car. They need to study Lexus and sound reading materials. I am not in the mood
to Dynamite my car to get the sound down. I will just get a used Diesel E Class Benz
Korea has to do better before the word gets out on shabby quality materials. Japan
will improve the leather in a heart beat.

#21 ·
Hi,

Out of the blue, my Elantra Service rep wants to replace the Steering Wheel of my 2013 Elantra Limited.
He informed me its a warranty replacement and its free of charge.
I did a Oil Change in December 2016, and the work order did not reflect any issues with the Steering Wheel or I did not notice any damages or peeling marks.

Presently I have a the original Staring Wheel and I have no issues. Its this is a normal practice or should I be concerned

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.