Projector Headlights with HID - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Your HID install looks good! We have a 2013 Coupe and I've upgraded the headlights and foglights to HID (6000K). Looks great (see pic). Kits came from XenonSupply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0783.jpg (164.1 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Garage
The 6000K HID headlight/foglight upgrade on our 2013 Coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0783.jpg (164.1 KB, 12 views)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 PM

I just installed my HIDs from XenonHIDS.com. I got 6000k and I put the low beams in yesterday. I bought high beams too, but they said the high beams are H1 bulbs and my car is H7 so I contacted them to get a return/swap.

I'm considering eventually buying fog lights (hopefully from Hyundai) that I can put in and have HID. My car is the SE so it just has the placeholders in there for the fog lights.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 PM

Garage
Excellent choice! The HIDs look super sharp. I'd like to suggest to shy away from HID high-beams as HIDs take a bit to warm up to full brightness and waiting for them may be dangerous. I removed my high-beam HID system (one of the ballasts failed anyway, refunded under warranty) and replaced them w/ LED bulbs (non ballasted) from PrecisionLED.
Using the LEDs as high-beam bulbs allows for them to be used an daytime running lights (DRL) in addition to high-beams (admittedly not bright enough) without the time delay nor the blinding of using a ballasted system.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsx1 View Post
Excellent choice! The HIDs look super sharp. I'd like to suggest to shy away from HID high-beams as HIDs take a bit to warm up to full brightness and waiting for them may be dangerous. I removed my high-beam HID system (one of the ballasts failed anyway, refunded under warranty) and replaced them w/ LED bulbs (non ballasted) from PrecisionLED.
Using the LEDs as high-beam bulbs allows for them to be used an daytime running lights (DRL) in addition to high-beams (admittedly not bright enough) without the time delay nor the blinding of using a ballasted system.
I was actually worried about that. I'm going to see if they will just return them instead of exchange them and I'll look into those LEDs. Thanks!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Okay, so I ordered LED high beam bulbs and put them in today. They look great and work great when on DRL. However, when I turn them on high beams, the driver side one blinks (almost like a turn signal). The HID low beams stay on with the high beam lights too, which is great. I don't remember them staying on before but maybe they did. Does anyone know why one of those LEDs blinks on the driver side? Should I swap the bulbs to rule out if it blinks with the one thats on the passenger side?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:10 AM

Garage
Double check the install. Check the signal lights too. Try swapping the LED ballasts to see what happens. if the blinking changes sides, it might be the ballast, if not, swap the bulbs or contact the supplier and inquire. The pulse encoded in the power voltage is a higher frequency, say 100 Hz, so a turn signal rate seems odd. Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't forget to post pics!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Okay, I will check the install. I've been really busy and just left them alone for now. I mainly use them for DRLs anyways. I don't have ballasts for the LED bulbs, its just the bulb itself. I will try swapping the bulbs soon and let you know. The LEDs definitely aren't as bright as HIDs or even regular halogens but they still look cool. I noticed when the high beams are on they are brighter than when they are DRL so I guess they have different "filaments" to like my factory bulbs? I'll post pics soon!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM

Garage
If you have just bulbs (no ballasts) then you may have a bad bulb. The signal/power to the bulbs should be the same on both sides. Switching sides should verify that.
As for being brighter using the high beam, they are. The DRL system (on most vehicles) is the high beam bulb using less voltage and are dimmer as a result. The DRL system runs on maybe 6V as opposed to the high beams at 12V or 14.4V. Same "filaments", more voltage. When you turn on the high beams, you just switching to the higher voltage. Some cars do have bulbs with 2 filaments but not the Elantra.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 PM

Oh okay, makes sense about the voltage now. Thanks for the info! Hope I don't have a bad bulb. I ordered them on eBay. They were a lot cheaper than PrecisionLED. That site is super expensive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page