Projector Headlights - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Projector Headlights

Hey everyone, I have purchased these headlights on eBay for my 2013 Sedan Elantra. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-11-13-EL...ht_6796wt_1038

Question is, has anyone put an HID Kit into aftermarket headlight projectors? They have an article in eBay about putting HID's into aftermarket projectors. It states that If the bulb is too close to the lens it could melt the lens and damage the housing. It also states that the bulb is to be 2 inches (I'm guessing) from the lens so it does not damage them. I bought a kit after I did the research. I also emailed the company that makes the headlights and they stated it should be fine, but I also emailed the seller that sold the headlights to me and they said don't do it. I am stuck on this and only solution I know was to buy some Hella bulbs so I can have brighter lights and not worry about anything being damaged. Does anyone have experience with installing HID's into prjectors? Need some help here.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason
2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Grey
Manual Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 AM

if you can find an aftermarket shop near you, they might be of more help as they will probably test fit an HID bulb for you to make sure everything will be alright.
I dont see this being an issue, i never had an issue fitting a HID bulb into a projector, it was just plug and play.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraFan View Post
if you can find an aftermarket shop near you, they might be of more help as they will probably test fit an HID bulb for you to make sure everything will be alright.
I dont see this being an issue, i never had an issue fitting a HID bulb into a projector, it was just plug and play.
Well its not a matter of "fitment" its the worrisome of the HID bulb being too near the projector lens while the bulb is on and damaging the lens, because the bulbs can get from 40-90 degrees Celsius. Which is up to 200 Degrees F. Hope this clears it up for you. Thanks for responding.

Jason

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM

arent lenses usually glass? I've never really heard of 35watt HIDs melting lenses.

Standard 35watt 50 watt halogens produce WAY more heat than a 35 watt hid bulb

personally rather then spend 250$ on that.

I would spend the $150 or so and get a morimoto minih1 retrofit kit from the retrofit source and pay someone $250-$300 labor to retrofit the projector into your OEM headlight

Much better quality projector and OEM headlight housing. That would be the ideal way of doing it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the headlights and the taillights together off eBay for a price not being able to pass up. So that is reason being why I bought them. Also the headlights came with built in LED Strip and Halo as shown in the picture. I did purchase a 35watt kit (Xentec is the brand) with 5000K bulbs. Do you think it should be fine with this kit and not having to worry about any damage?

Jason
Manual Transmission
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM

i dont understand the problem, from your Ebay link it looks like you've purchased the entire housing. Just pull out the Elantras stockers and bolt the aftermarkets right up...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Please read this thread thoroughly, it's not referring to fitment of the housing. It's explaining rather or not it is safe to put an HID Kit INTO the housing without the housing being damage due to excessive heat from the HID bulbs.

Jason
Manual Transmission
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok here is the link explaining what I am trying to get across. It's a big issue to me because if I put an HID kit and it ruins the housing then I have lost money and headlights.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/HID-Guide-to...1638316/g.html

Thanks,
Jason

Jason
Manual Transmission
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM

I think the best way of doing this is to get the headlight first and measure the distance between the bulbs mount and the projector lens. Then compare it with the length of the HID bulb.

They are right that most HID bulbs are longer than halogen bulbs. Usually by 1-3cm. But in general I'd say halogen bulbs produce more overall heat compared to HID.

But at the very tip of the HID bulb there could be intense heat if the lens is very close to the bulb.

The way I see it. You are playing with ebay quality headlight housings. Its not going to be great.

I've dealt with some ebay headlights before and was not impressed with the quality at all. Which is why if you can afford it - I would go for custom retrofits into your oem housing.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok great, and thanks for the response. Also has anyone used the Phillips X-Treme vision bulbs or the Hella 100 watt bulbs? Just trying to see if I can get some more light on the road.

Jason
Manual Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in