Horrific Problem!!! PLEASE HELP!!! - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Horrific Problem!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok, so Im new to Elantras but not cars. It all started off with crystalized ethenol in my gas tank clogging up my injectors. Oh, I have a 2000 Elantra Sedan GLS 2.0 manual, 15x,xxx miles. Car sat for 3 years or so until I got a hold of it. After I started driving it the car became sluggish and check engine light flashed. After weeks of investigation I discovered a mound of brown power-ish stuff on top of injectors. Cleaned them, re installed and after a few days the problenm started back. Looked at the tank and saw that it was almost fulled covered with brown crap. So until I got the money for a new tank I had to remove the injectors and clean every few days. The taking off and putting back on I wore the banjo bolt till it broke. OK, IM SCREWED!!! No one has it listed cant get to the junk yard. CRAP!!! So, I have a fuel rail from an Audi TT laying around. So I mad it fit, cut hoses and all. Only problem, cant bolt it down, different mounting holes. So I did what I had to and tied it down. Every so ofter I had to check it because the injectors would slip out and leaek gas. One night, I checked eveything and drove home. Before getting home I decided to pull into a gas station to check just so I can feel good bout it. When I pull in I see my reflection from another car and, CRAP!!!! ORANGE GLOW FROM UNDERNEATH MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It leaked and caught fire. I hurried up and put the fire out. It burnted a few wires, AC belt and timing cover. So heres my problem. I said screw the AC belt and timing cover for right now, I got to get the car back on the road. I rewired the injector harness and all the wires in that loom that goes to the firewall, the best I could. I know the wires there are for injectors, AC compressor, cam sensor, crankshaft sensor?, and a ground on the IM. Anything else on that loom? Does anyone have a wire diagram for those wires? After rewiring everything I attempted to crank the car. The engine turned but no fire. I disconnected the fuel line and tried again, no fuel was pumping out. The fuel pump isnt too old. I was thinking the fuel pump relay but dont want to spend any unessisary money, I have a newborn baby and a wife to support. Could any of the wires burnt affect the fuel pump? I tested the wires to the pump to the best of my ability(battery dead so had to have another vehicle connected to my car) and had no power to pump, I think I did have ground. Im tired of messing with this and spending usless money. The is my father-in-laws car and he plans on giving me the car if I can fix it. I have no other source of transportation and need this fixed ASAP. I know alot about mechanical work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I put in a new fuel pump relay and nothing. Ran a jumper wire to the pump and it runs just fine. Hooked everything up including the jumper wire the motor would not start. It jist kept turning and turning.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Any Codes in the Computer?? Might give you an idea of any more damaged wiring

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

The light has been on for a while, but of course with my luck it wont connect to any reader. Must be a messed up wire between obd port and ecu. I just got done working on it more. Found out my fuel pump problem was a weird looking fuse under the hood labled ECU was blown. Switched it with the one for power windows since my window motors don't work. It did crank up but now runs extreamly rough. I checked my wires and discovered that the 4th(from pass side to driver side) injector wasn't getting a ground. Fixed that and tried again and still nothing. When it caught fire all the injector wires burnt and the protective rubber melted so I had to get new injector connectors and wires. There wasn't a elantra at the local bone yard so I pulled them off a 2000 Accent and did the best I could with matching wires. Did I hook a wire to the wrong injector? Also the injectors are from the Accent too, plus the throttle cable. Every once in a while it will rev high but I don't think I have the idle right( where the cable mounts to the bracket and has the two nuts on it. Still, it runs very rough and will cut off if I let it idle, after running like a 1 legged dog for a few seconds. Can anyone look at their injector wires and tell me the color of the + cable going to each started from the pass. side? The colors from the Accent don't line up but I do know the ground for each cable is the red wire, that part wasn't burnt too bad so I could see the red on each connector. I must fix this tonight so I can drive to work tomorrow so please hurry, LOL!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Is this the correct firing order for our cars?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (5.7 KB, 2 views)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

What about the idle speed control actuator? If that is not wired right could it mess me up? When I try to drive the car, I slowly let off the clutch and it will go but wont accel when I mash the gas.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Idle Speed Actuator only controls the Idle. Plugged Cat would cause an engine not rev up. If I remember correctly, You can check that with a Vacuum Gauge.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Cat is new. The cars idle sucks @#$. Do you currently have an Elantra like mine?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

First, will the accent injectors work? Second, can miss wiring the injectors to cause it to run rough or should it not run at all? Third, would a miss wired IAC actuator cause a problem? Fourth, would a bad cam pos. sensor cause it to run bad or not at all? Could I have wired something wrong? I didn't rewire the AC compressor, replace the compressor belt and didn't replace the timing cover for now. I just need to drive it to work(mechanic shop).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page