Climate control fan breaks on long trips - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Climate control fan breaks on long trips

Hi I am new to the forum and hoping some of you more senior folks can help.

I have a 2013 Elantra with 16500 miles on it. On a long trip, 4 hours in, the AC fan slowed down and stopped completely. After gassing up it came back on for ten minutes, then slowed and stopped again (I can tell the compressor is running just no fan blowing over the coils). If I turned off the AC for 10 minutes I could squeeze another 10 minutes out...

I took it to the dealer today. As they cannot reproduce it I do not get a fix. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshupp View Post
I took it to the dealer today. As they cannot reproduce it I do not get a fix. Any ideas?
They are screwing with you.
What situations like this really amounts to is the dealer saying:
We think you are too dumb to know if the fan is running or not.......and it's a crock of crap.

Call Hyundai. They can authorize changing parts on a guess.....and often know more about what causes things than a single dealer does.
The likely failure is the fan motor itself overheating.
IF your dealer actually was competent, they would have contacted Hyundai already for advice and help.

OR.....
Plan a long trip, if possible, so that it ends at the dealership where hopefully that fan has failed and do NOT turn it off until they look at it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easy Rider,

thanks for the response. What Hyundai number should I call? I took a crack at contacting Hyundai and this is my crappy response:

Hyundai Customer Connect Center
3:20 PM (11 minutes ago)

to me
Dear Cris Shupp:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing difficulties with the compressor of your 2013 Elantra Limited.

Hyundai is unable to assist with a vehicle diagnosis via email or phone, even with the aid of images. Hyundai is only able to enact warranty replacement of genuine Hyundai parts, still eligible for their respective warranty, found to be defective by the diagnosis of a certified Hyundai technician.

We recommend that you continue to work with your local Hyundai Dealership and speak with a certified Hyundai technician. Hyundai technicians are highly trained and experienced with all Hyundai vehicles. Hyundai technicians are familiar with many concerns that customers may encounter and can provide many helpful options. Please bring your vehicle in for inspection by a certified Hyundai technician at your earliest convenience.

While we do not doubt the technical skills of your preferred Hyundai Dealership, if you are not satisfied with the resolution provided we recommend that you speak with an alternate Hyundai Dealership. Each Hyundai Dealership has a unique team of experienced technicians that can often offer alternate prospective or solutions to customer's concerns.

To locate an alternate Hyundai Dealership please visit http://www.HyundaiUSA.com (click on "Find a Dealer" in the upper right corner, enter your zip code and click on "Locate") or by calling our automated dealership locator at 1-866-400-0384.

If you have any additional questions or comments regarding your Elantra Limited, please reach out to us again at any time. We can be reached by e-mail ([email protected]) or by calling our toll-free customer service number (800-633-5151).

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday - Sunday: 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific Time

We have documented your concern as case number 6546046 which can be referenced if we are able to provide you with further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America and for being a valued member of the Hyundai family.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Apr 17, 2014 7:44:25 AM
Subject: Warranty troubles

My Elantra (VIN - Kmhdh4ae3du634358) has roughly 16500 miles. A couple
weeks ago, roughly 4 hours in a 14 hour trip, our climate control fan
seemed to overheat and it would quit blowing air. The compressor seemed to
continue to function. We stopped for gas and when we resumed the fan
worked for ten more minutes. We sweltered the rest of the trip.

I took it to Bob King Hyundai in Winston Salem NC and they tried to
reproduce it for an hour and couldn't. They offered no solution.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Cris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page