Winter tires for Hyundai Elantera - when to switch? - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Winter tires for Hyundai Elantera - when to switch?

If you didn't get the winter tires for your car yet, hurry up as it's the right time to do so. It is recommended to switch to winter tires when the average temperature drops below 40F degrees (or 7C). One of the most important reasons to do so except for getting a better tire tread, is that resins in your summer tires become brittle as the temperature drops. Of course it is better to prepare your car beforehand, and not get stranded on the road in a sudden snow storm.

How to choose winter tires?
- If you use the same rims, simply order the same tire size as your summer tires. From time to time drivers choose tires with a taller profile and smaller tire width to get a slightly better grip on the ice or on the snow.

Disadvantages of having a single set of wheels is that you have to remount the tires and TPMS twice a year + salt, moisture and low temperatures can damage a vulnerable finish of your rims, especially the chrome.

Alternative way is to get a winter set of Tires+Rims - this way you don't have to remount the tires, and keep them in a good condition for an extended period of time. Custom wheels with polished or chrome finish can be safely stored for the winter.

Choose winter tires for your Hyundai Elantra by size or by year/make/model on CARiD:

Check out our tech articles about how to choose tires properly:
Replacing Your Original Factory Tires 101
New TPMS Sensors | The Best Choice With Your New Wheels & Tires

Let me know if any additional questions appear!

Hyundai Elantra http://www.carid.com/hyundai-elantra-accessories/
Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by carid; 11-09-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2017 Elantra Limited with tire size 225/45R17. Because of the low profile, I've blown two tires already after hitting potholes in Chicago. My solution is to get a second set of wheels with higher profile OEM 205/55R16 (on the Value Edition) and want to change it out for the winters. Do I have to program the TPMS at the dealer every time I switch to winter tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page