Warning Hyundai Not Honoring Warranty - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Warning Hyundai Not Honoring Warranty

So I purchased the brand new Elantra Gt back 10 months ago when it first came out and have loved it until recently. I was on my way to D.C. and I broke down on 95. Apparently the oil plug fell out and the engine died soon after. Now it is knocking and I have to get a new engine. Since I've only put 15,000 miles on it and have had it less than a year I thought Hyundai would obviously cover it since I've heard such good things about their warranty and customer service (was actually one of the main reasons I went with Hyundai). But it has been a nightmare dealing with them. They are telling me that it is negligence on the people who had changed the oil (a Ford dealership, in which they informed me that would not void the warranty in any way if I had used them) and that they won't do anything for me. Even though I had gotten no oil light or overheating indicator light. They claim that at those speeds the oil is like water and would flush out very quickly after the plug falls out, which is probably why I did not get a warning light. They instantly assumed that my oil had been changed recently. It wasn't. It was replaced 4,000 miles ago. To me that isn't an improper installation of the oil plug. But, either way, how Hyundai is treating me is really disheartening. I was honestly expecting much more from the "number 1 warranty in the industry." To simply not even try to help me out or assist me in talking to Ford...I just feel like an un-cared for customer that they just want to kick to the curb and say "sorry bro, it's your problem, you bought the car." They estimated that it's about a $6,000 fix. I'm honestly just in shock right now. You buy a new car so things like this won't happen in the first place, but also so that in case something like this happens, the warranty would surely cover it. How can a company with such good customer relations reviews be so unsympathetic and not-understanding of a new customer having issues within the first year? And expect that I drop another $6,000 at the drop of a hat?

Talking to the Hall Hyundai Dealership in Chesapeake, Va which with all of these issues are going through, they had agreed at one point to conference on the phone with the people from Ford so that all 3 parties could amicably discuss the situation. Then the time of the phone call comes and no one from Hall Hyundai calls in. I call them and they said that they were told not to phone in by their customer representative. But they weren't even going to give me the courtesy of telling me this. Again they were going to leave me out to dry. What's going on with Hyundai customer service? Why is breaking down so easily or is just this particular dealership?

Oh and did I mention that when I broke down on the highway that the Hyundai assurance program that was supposed to be so helpful was simply going to tow me to the nearest Hyundai dealership (that was closed since it was Saturday) and that there were no rental places open in the area (since again, it was Saturday). So Hyundai was going to drag me into the middle of nowhere, to be left stranded. Luckily I had AAA and they were able to tow me to an airport to pick up a rental car. If not for AAA, I don't know what I'd do. Pretty much, if you're traveling and it's the weekend, the Hyundai Assurance program is pretty useless.

I've had a rental car until last week when Hyundai bluntly said "we're not paying for the engine replacement, so we need to get you out of the rental as soon as possible." Just another instance of kicking me to the curb. Just unbelievable.

Needless to say I will not be getting another Hyundai ever again (and I am going to sell the Elantra GT as soon as I can). My father that had recently purchased a Sonata will be getting rid of his as well just on the principal of how I am being dealt with by customer care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elantragtowne View Post
Just unbelievable.

Needless to say I will not be getting another Hyundai ever again
You have been told this by several people on the "other" forum so I will be brief here.....as if you will ever really see any of the replies anyway.

Your situation is not "unbelievable" at all. ANY car maker would have done the extact same thing.

You need to be fighting with the Ford place......and maybe never buying another FORD again as a result of their sloppy service.

You are WAY off base here.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM

That really sucks to hear.

It is strange for the oil plug to come off. It's not very common unless you didn't tighten it at all. And even so you would see oil leaking on your driveway long before it manages to shake its way out completely.

Just wondering. Why did you go to Ford for an oil change?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Was this the Hyundai dealer giving you problems? If so I'd go to another dealer or call Hyundai directly. I had Hyundai honor a warrenty item that was actually our of warrenty by 1k miles on my 02 Elantra GT i used to own with no problems. Not certain but it kind of sounds like it's the Dealership that's giving you grief, not Hyundai. Keep in mind every Dealership is owned privately, they are actually not run by Hyundai USA.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Unfortunate, but I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to cover this. Oil drain plugs have a whole lot of threads on them, i.e., they don't just "fall out".

They drip at the same, slow rate right up until they're removed. This car was dripping oil for the last 4000 miles (your last oil change) until it finally fell out. It totally stinks that Ford did a poor job, but it's going to be an uphill battle blaming anyone, as (and I'm sorry to say this) you really should have noticed your machine dripping oil for the past several months. There is no good excuse here.

And that's what they're all going to call it, user negligence. And unfortunately, they're 100% correct.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM

not for anything, but why on earth would you bring you Hyundai to a Ford dealership for oil change, especially while it was still under warranty?

The Ford people would of told you whatever you wanted to hear, its not illegal to lie to somebody. Hyundai is completely right to call this user negligence. You checked with Ford if Ford would void your Hyundai warranty. I would imagine the first people to ask about Hyundai warranty would be Hyundai themselves.

As others have suggested you can try another Hyundai dealer but i dont think you have any leverage here. Even if Hyundai is at fault with a faulty drain plug you gave them the perfect out by allowing Ford to get their hands on it.

You've inadvertently washed Hyundais hands of your problem by causing it in the first place....

It sucks that your going to be out X amount of $, but let it be an expensive lesson in corporate protocol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 PM

I learned early on to use the dealer for all of my service. If something happens then no argument - the cost of going to the dealer is much cheaper than the oil change joints - and It gets washed and waxed any updates it needs for ...

I don't really think that Hyundai has a place in this fight - Ford was the last folks to touch it....anyhow Good Luck

Last edited by txtriker; 10-04-2013 at 10:20 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtriker View Post
I learned early on to use the dealer for all of my service. If something happens then no argument - the cost of going to the dealer is much cheaper than the oil change joints - and It gets washed and waxed any updates it needs for ...

I don't really think that Hyundai has a place in this fight - Ford was the last folks to touch it....anyhow Good Luck
I agree, in some cases you might be paying more for the whole service but in the end it is better. But as the vehicle ages it's probably better to go to an independent shop once warranty is up.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Wow... Every bit of this guys rant is ridiculous!! First you go to a Ford dealer, they mess up your car and scream at the Hyundai dealer??? Okay... So dealers are expensive for oil changes... but you went to a Ford dealer, they can't be much cheaper, if at all, then Hyundai!! Just completely flabbergasted at this.

I do my own oil changes cause I am a mechanic. Drain plugs don't just fall out. That plug was NOT tightened. I guarantee the tech put it on finger tight, got distracted and didn't snug it with a wrench.. OR the complete opposite and stripped t he threads by overtightening, which A LOT of mechanics do. I dunno why they feel the need to tighten them to 100 ft-lbs!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:43 PM

This guy is as dumb as a door knob if he doesn't understand this situation. He blames everyone except himself. Ford dealer screws up so he expects Hyundai dealer to honor Fords problem.............. I find it interesting that he also wrote the same rant in other forums but fails to answer ANY responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page