Elantra Forum banner

2016 elantra keyed trunk latch

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnYCannuck 
#1 ·
That's right, I have a key hole in the back for the trunk.
I bought the car used, so expected the ignition key to open the trunk. It goes in easily enough, but does not turn.
Even with substantial penetrating oil over a few days.
So, I'm asking, is there supposed to be a separate key for the trunk? Or am I the only one who does not have an electric release?
Cable release inside still works, but if that fails, that would be an issue, seeing as the seats fold only from inside the trunk.

#2 ·
The ignition key or valet key is supposed to open the trunk. Is your ignition key new? Assuming the key tumbler in the trunk is good, run your ignition key over a wire wheel to de-bur the metal a little bit then try again. In the dealership I work in sometimes fresh cut keys don't work the first time because of the sharp edges so I run the key over a wire wheel an voila....opens the doors....

#3 ·
One more question....what model is your ELantra? DO you have a push start or a key start? I only ask because some models have the hidden trunk push button in the emblem badge on the rear of the trunk like my 19. Just thought it was worth asking.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks! Mine is a 2016 Elantra L 4dr sedan Std trans. Keyed ignition, that does not have an immobilizer. No key fob either, although it does have push button electric locks (controlled from the door consoles) for the doors only, not the trunk. Keys appears to be the original, and both keys are worn. Neither work in the trunk lock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.