• 1 Post By shouldhaveboughtamazda
  • 1 Post By Hntr51

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
suspension upgrades?

Hello, My name is Mark and I hate my 2012 Elantra Limted sedan, but I am trying to patch things up between us. I feel the only way to make this possible is some serious thoughts into suspension. I traded a Bullett Mustnag for this car as a cheep family get-around car. Cheap, great mileage, and good sized interior. I missed spirited driving of the Mustang, however I tried to make myself feel better with being a responsible adult driving the "2012 North American Car of the Year."

Later I got a divorce and much more money, so I bought an MX-5 for autocross and summer driving. Now it's cold and I am reminded how much I hate driving the Elantra, but love the heated seats and solid roof when it is 20F outside. I know this thing will never handle like an MX-5, but I need to make it a bit less of a punishment before I drive it into a lake for insurance money and buy a Mazda3 or a Focus.

I am disappointed there is such a small aftermarket for these cars. I cannot throw a rock in a parking lot without hitting an Elantra, surely someone is autocrossing or modding these... Anyone? So far on this form I have found that KYB rear shocks are a magic bullet, and also the only suspension mod. Are there any other competitors? KYB isn't a bad name, but I was hoping for something firmer or adjustable. Are there any swaybar options for this vehicle? Larger bars from similar models in Kia or Hyundai? I found people buying Swaybars on this forum from Ebay, I try to stay away from Ebay parts, usually (always?) ends badly. Any other suggestions on making this vehicle a little more fun to drive? ****, if I can make it handle descent, I might even Autocross it if (when) I break my MX-5.

PS. Don't get me started on how my 22/28 MPG MX-5 play toy gets better real world mileage than my 28/38 MPG (corrected) Elantra gas mileage car. Sore subject.
mkm558 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Garage
Hello,

Have you found any aftermarket parts yet? I have a 2015 SE

1st Brand new car
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldhaveboughtamazda View Post
Hello, My name is Mark and I hate my 2012 Elantra Limted sedan, but I am trying to patch things up between us. I feel the only way to make this possible is some serious thoughts into suspension. I traded a Bullett Mustnag for this car as a cheep family get-around car. Cheap, great mileage, and good sized interior. I missed spirited driving of the Mustang, however I tried to make myself feel better with being a responsible adult driving the "2012 North American Car of the Year."

Later I got a divorce and much more money, so I bought an MX-5 for autocross and summer driving. Now it's cold and I am reminded how much I hate driving the Elantra, but love the heated seats and solid roof when it is 20F outside. I know this thing will never handle like an MX-5, but I need to make it a bit less of a punishment before I drive it into a lake for insurance money and buy a Mazda3 or a Focus.

I am disappointed there is such a small aftermarket for these cars. I cannot throw a rock in a parking lot without hitting an Elantra, surely someone is autocrossing or modding these... Anyone? So far on this form I have found that KYB rear shocks are a magic bullet, and also the only suspension mod. Are there any other competitors? KYB isn't a bad name, but I was hoping for something firmer or adjustable. Are there any swaybar options for this vehicle? Larger bars from similar models in Kia or Hyundai? I found people buying Swaybars on this forum from Ebay, I try to stay away from Ebay parts, usually (always?) ends badly. Any other suggestions on making this vehicle a little more fun to drive? ****, if I can make it handle descent, I might even Autocross it if (when) I break my MX-5.

PS. Don't get me started on how my 22/28 MPG MX-5 play toy gets better real world mileage than my 28/38 MPG (corrected) Elantra gas mileage car. Sore subject.

I love the **** out of my Elantra, but I also know what it is and I'm happy with it playing that role. It seems like you might simply want it to be something that it's not. I think that you should go ahead and grab the MX-5 if you're looking for that kind of enjoyment out of your daily driver. The Mazda 3 looks great and is a bunch of fun to drive too. You could upgrade the Elantra until the cows come home, but I'm not sure that it's going to make you happy in the long run. I wrapped KYB's front and back and it rides like it should have day on day one. Even then, it's still not going to come close to a vehicle that was made to handle like the MX-5. It's just not made for that. For fun, I ride my GIXXER.. for life I drive the Elantra. Both stay nicely in their lanes. Good luck.
mkm558 likes this.

It's all about the waffles ...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

Of course Elantra will never come close to a Mustang, but who said that you can't modify it.

Apparently you didn't visit our site yet : )

KSport® Asphalt Rally Spec Coilover Kit is waiting for you here: http://www.carid.com/2015-hyundai-el...nsion-systems/
Adjustably 0.5"-2.5" Front and Rear Body Drop. Spring Rate: 549 lb/in (Front), 336 lb/in (Rear).
Drop a set of sport wheels with bigger diameter, wider tires and a well off-set on top of it and you will make the car handle much better.

KSport® - 0.5"-2.5" x 0.5"-2.5" Asphalt Rally Spec Coilover Kit

Just a few examples of Elantra with coilovers:

Hyundai Elantra http://www.carid.com/hyundai-elantra-accessories/
Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 PM

Garage
I know your pain

I've got a 2013 elantra GT ( hatchback) its got a stiffer chassis then the sedan and handles a bit better, but i swapped into this from an old audi and all i can say is the suspension on these elantras is softer then wet ****! I have seen some decent aftermarket parts ( although its probably because its 5 years after this post was started) so if you still have the elantra i recommend looking into kits like the one mentioned above, although that one is probably out of my budget. as for the ebay parts, I have a XYZ tuning short air intake on mine that i got off ebay for 42.50 and it's working better then it's supposed to, stock is 145hp for me and i dyno'd the whp at 174, much nicer then expected for a simple 4 piece job, 10 min installation job. really all these elantras need is a good stiffened suspension, maybe lower it a lil bit and a good front end splitter. maybe then it'll handle as good as an 2004 audi convertibility XD

here's images of the intake followed by the plasti dip job i did
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRj0AT3B...bW90VfQDTiio0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOyRyVah...rU6Pjoi3W6hs0/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM

I have a 2015 Elantra se a well. Carid posted the ksport kit but none of the ksport kits look like they will fit my car due to the fact that the rear has shocks not struts. The only other full kits that look like they will work are the Megan racing kits. I would buy the Megan racing kits but I would really like to know if there are more options and if anyone tried them. I'm going to look into the godspeed kits because the are the only other ones I've seen. Bc racing site isn't showing me of they have a kit that's compatible. I will double check ksports official page and possibly message them as well. So annoying trying to find what options I have. I absolutely cannot stand the way my car handles even with the kybs in the rear.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have an '07 2.0l w/65's all around, manual 5speed. It's a hoot to drive, corners well, bought used ($1950.00) little over a year now. While it's not a Ferrari, Porsche, Mustang, etc. I like the 31+mpg combined and parts relatively easy to find and reasonable, I accept it as is. I've been working on my own cars for about 40years, gone are the days of only motor and trany under the hood.
The only major issue was a severely stripped timing belt causing bent valves, Swapped head my self, I knew better, bought a "rebuilt?" head online, SHAME ON ME, But that's a whole different story for a different forum. Only local machine shops from now on, old enough to know better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page