Elantra only cranks after suddenly shutting off. - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Elantra only cranks after suddenly shutting off.

My car has 203K Miles on it and today when I left for work, it started up after a few more cranks than normal, sputtered a bit and then stalled. I then went to start it again and it would only crank. The fuel was low, but not empty. Normally, the car will have a hard time starting like that when the fuel is low. It is getting colder and those issue are normally amplified. I will list my recent issues with the car below:

Speedometer jumps all over the place most of the time. Only under throttle does it fixate on the correct speed.

Check engine light came on a couple of months ago and it was gas cap related. Also related to the fuel tank charcoal filter. After a couple of full tank fill-ups, it went away.

Now, I checked all of the fuses and belts. I pulled the Fuel Pump relay and smelled it and shook it. The one for AC next to it was the same one, so I put it in place of the fuel pump and went to start the car. It had very little power to crank suddenly. So I went back out and placed the relays back in their respective spots. Then I tried to start the car and it cranked even slower until the battery died it seems and the car now has fast clicks when trying to crank.

I could use some serious help getting this poor girl running again. I was unemployed for about 9 months and recently started a new business that is doing well, but I am still strapped for cash and catching up. I also take care of my father at my home who is sick. So, I cant really afford to throw parts at the car and was hoping someone with a little more knowledge could assist me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I charged my battery with a charger a bit for me to test for spark at the coil pack. There is not a spark. I am going to run and purchase a new CPS and see if that fixes things.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, I realized that when i checked for the spark, I checked plugs 2 and 3. When I replaced the CPS and tested 2 and 3 there was no spark but I switched over to 1 and held it near a ground and I got a spark. I wonder what else it could be.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I just disconnected the entire rail from the engine and let it sit there and cranked a little to see if there was fuel coming out of any of the injectors. There was no fuel. Do you think that would be a good indicated of a bad fuel pump? I also checked the relay again, bent the pins slightly, in case there was a bad connection and tried again. Nothing, as well as no fuel coming out. Is there any other things that I should check?

I really dont recall hearing the fuel pump priming in the car beforehand. But, then again, I never really listened for it. I dont seem to hear anything when the key is in the run position, though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

It was indeed the fuel pump. Thanks for all of the help and I hope this helps someone else in a similar issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page