Transmission fluid leak... - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission fluid leak...

I have a 05 Elantra with around 140,000 miles on it. I just replaced both CV axles to fix a vibration under acceleration at higher speeds problem. I also drained the transmission of fluid when i went to change these axles. I took 4 out and put 5.5 quarts in. I did have the engine running and in neutral when i checked the fluid, and kept adding fluid until it was at the mark on the stick. The engine was hot, however the car had not been moving, so the transmission may have still been cool.

I am wondering if you overfill the transmission, will the excess fluid come out where the drivers axle meets the transmission? This is where the fluid is leaking from. It does NOT leak when the car is turned on. I would have thought that the engine running would spray fluid everywhere if the problem was the transaxle seal. When i turn the engine off, the car leaked about 2/3 of a quart of transmission fluid.

The Transmission fluid still checks full, even after all of the leakage. Did I just overfill the transmission, or did I mess up the transaxle seal? Has anyone had this issue before? The leak seems to be very minimal now, compared to what it was. I am hoping I just overfilled the transmission.

Any helpful input or experiences are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Edit:

When i said 2/3 of a quart of fluid, I meant in total for that day.

I installed the new axles and filled up the transmission. Drove it to go get gas. When i stopped to get gas and turned off the car, that is when i noticed lots of transmission fluid just pouring out from under the car. When i turned the car on it stopped the leak.

When i got home I put a pan under the car to catch the fluid. Only a few ounces (2-3) leaked out over a 5 hour period. I am unsure whether the car has stopped leaking or not, as I do not drive it everyday.

If the seals were leaking, i would think they would leak even with the car running. It is a very good possibility that i overfilled the transmission fluid when adding the new fluid. I did not check to see where the level was at before i drained it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 PM

You might Need a Seal on the Output Shaft. Hard part is the Axle removal, Reinstallation.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantramax View Post
You might Need a Seal on the Output Shaft. Hard part is the Axle removal, Reinstallation.
That is what I was thinking may be the case.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen before.

I just find it strange that the car doesn't leak when running. The leak might have stopped. I only get a chance to mess with it on the weekends, as it's located in a different city.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Ok I was wanting to check my transmission fluid on my 2011 Elantra and the mechanic said It DOES not have a dipstick and the only way is to have a transmisson flush and fluid. Why the **** is there no dam dipstick to check ? I am not taking this to no dealer and spend mega bucks when this should be easy to do myself. I very unhappy customer here seriously thinking of trading in for a Honda on my first major problem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM

The 08 Malibu I traded had the Same setup. No Dipstick. There is a Level Plug in the rear of the Transmission. You're supposed to remove the Plug. Fill the Trans until it slowly trickles out the hole. GOOD luck in the Driveway. You need the car Level and on a lift.

As far as the leak, I had a strange one on the same Malibu. Left Rear Caliper leaked when I set the P-Brake. Had to replace the Caliper. Meineke wanted some ridiculous amount for Both calipers, Bleeding to be done. And only was giving a 90 day Warranty. I went to my usual parts store, AA, They got one for me. Lifetime Warranty. $70 or so. And only took me about 1/2 Hour in the garage. With a Broken Collar bone that was still healing. Some of it was waiting on my father to come help me bleed the brakes.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

The output seal on this car was a big pain to get off. It took some serious prying to get it out. I was very close to carefully cutting it out, but it popped out before I had to go that far. Putting the new one in was tricky too. I used a 2" coupler for pvc and a 2" pvc pipe to knock in the new seal. It was very difficult to get the seal to go in straight. Mine kept trying to go in on one side.

After i got the old seal out, i took the new seal and put it against the axle and found that the axle i bought was machined down too far where it connects to that seal. There was a 1/8" gap all around where the axle was supposed to meet the seal, which was the cause of my transmission fluid leak. Thankfully the parts store near my house had a driver side axle for that car and I was able to take my extra seal to make sure that axle was machined correctly. The new axle was machined correctly, installed the new seal, new axle, and my transmission doesn't leak anymore. I bought the first set of axles off e-bay. Now I know to either get them from a local auto parts store or stick with Hyundai.

The new axle i bought was toughline brand. It is a very nice looking axle, and it has a lifetime warranty. The pricing wasn't too far off from the cheap one I got from e-bay, which also had a lifetime warranty. Just remember to mic your axle ends and the seal ends if you are having a transmission fluid leak. This could be the issue if you installed a new axle and your transmission starts leaking!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 AM

I know, I feel your pain. I am an auto technician/mechanic and have been for many years. I don't know right off the top of my head if your car has a tranny stick or not, just check in your owners manual. It should tell you how and at what interval to check your fluid/service the tranny. I know its stupid but there are a tons of cars out there that do not have a dip stick for the transmission.For example some Mercedes have sealed trannys. The idea is that the fluid they use in it is good for the life of the transmission.The fluid never gets changed.They say that buy the time the fluid needs changed the car has so many miles on it that the transmission is at the end of its service life as well, ao the fluid gets changed when the transmission gets changed/rebuilt.Crazy huh!? Also the Lincoln Aviator doesn't have a dipstick.you fill the pan full before you bolt it on, raise it up carefully(normally takes 2 people) and one person hold it up while the other person gets a bolt in each corner to hold it up,then you have to pump like another 6 quarts in through this little hole in the side of the tranny, ,then you take this plug out of another spot to drain the excess,and thats how you know it has the right amount of fluid. it has thistle on the inside of the tranny and when parked n a level surface the fluid is full to right at the top of the tube.if it were over full the excess would drain down this tube until it levels itself when the fluid drains down to the top edge of the tube.when you take the plug out the extra fluid drains out until it levels off. After you have done this and the tranny is at the right fluid level, say your driving on a hill and the tranny is at an angle.Obviously the fluid would drain down this tube but because the plug is installed the fluid just drains back into the pan and recirculates through the system instead of draining out the plug. Now who in the **** thought of that bullshit instead of just using a dip stick and you add fluid until it is in the cross-hatches on the dipstick that tells you when it is at the proper operating level. Whats wrong with that way of checking the fluid?its worked for years on thousands and thousands of automobiles. If it aint broke don't fixit!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page