Vibration Under Acceleration + Trans Mount Issue - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vibration Under Acceleration + Trans Mount Issue

I have a 2005 Elantra, automatic, with around 140,000 miles.

This car would start to noticeably vibrate under acceleration at highway speeds. When you let off the throttle, the vibration goes away. It only vibrates under medium to heavy acceleration and is felt throughout the whole front end.

This is not due to the rotors or tires. The tires are in balance and the rotors are not warped. I do not hear any wheel bearing noises.

I have read that this could either be the rear engine mount or the axles. There are not many posts on this subject that I could find, and most of them did not post the solution to the issue. The axle posts that I have read were on other vehicles, but I assume that could be a possibly.

Over the weekend I replaced 3 of the engine mounts. The rear engine mount was faulty, however replacing these three mounts did not solve my problem. I found a thread that had this exact same issue and the OP said a new rear engine mount fixed the problem. It did not fix the problem for me.

I did get a transmission mount, however the new one did not fit in properly. The metal cylinder that was wielded to the mount (to the transmission side) would hit the bracket that the mount was supposed to fit inside. Am I supposed to jack up the transmission to get this mount to install properly? Has anyone else experienced this issue, or did I just get a poorly made mount? The old one went in and out with no clearance issues. It also did not look damaged. I did have the transmission supported while i took the mount in and out, and I did need to jack up the transmission a small bit to unload the pressure on the main through bolt. I am uncertain if there is anything special that needs to be done other than slapping the new mount in. The old one went back in just fine.

My main question is if anyone has had this vibration under acceleration issue before, and what did you do to get it fixed?

I ordered new CV axle shafts and hope to get those installed over the weekend. I will update this thread and let everyone know what solves the problem.

Any supportive input and experience is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:39 AM

Ignition Break-Up. Possibly worn Plugs? Weak Ignition Voltage

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantramax View Post
Ignition Break-Up. Possibly worn Plugs? Weak Ignition Voltage
The plugs are only a year old, so I would hope those aren't worn out. I had to replace the valve cover gasket two weeks ago and the plugs looked good. It could be the plug wires, maybe, or the coil. I'll replace those if the CV axles don't fix the issue. I would assume the engine would vibrate under load at lower speeds as well if this were the issue. I only get a chance to work on this car over the weekends, so I'll look into it then.

Thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 AM

I saw a Honda once, It Stalled when you put in gear. Checked the Ignition voltage at Idle. It was excessively high (20k or so). Checked one of the Plugs. Worn to a fine point. I just put a Cap, Rotor, Wires and Plugs in it. Unfortunately, my Ignition Voltage Meter broke. Not sure if its worth it for me to replace it.

Elantramax

2015 Tucson SE AWD PZEV
Shadow Grey

2010 Yamaha Majesty
Stealth Grey
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I replaced both CV axles and that fixed the vibration under acceleration problem.

I think i may have damaged the transaxle seal around where the driver axle goes into the transmission, as it now leaks transmission fluid when the engine is off. (Yes i did lube the ends of the axles with white lithium grease before installing them, however, I did not install new transaxle seals.) I believe I overfilled the transmission, however I will start another topic on this subject.

Thanks for the input, and i hope this helps someone in the future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in