LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is my ATF dip stick?

Hi guys, I am a proud owner of 2014 Elantra SE (1.8L motor), I can not
find the automatic transmission flud dip stick, it seems it does not have
one so how do we check the ATF of the car? please help, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 PM

I bought a 2014 2 weeks ago and when the dealer went over it with me,
he pointed out there was now way to check as there is no dipstick for the ATF but the mechanic/dealer can check it from under the car.

hope this has helped you
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 PM

The newer models of most cars don't have a dipstick for ATF. They require you to go in to the dealership to check and replace fluids.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:05 PM

its a sealed system, from my understanding.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 PM

Many manufacturers have gone this route in recent years. There is a drain and fill plug, but you need service info to find their locations. You can drop the pan to change the filter(something that is NOT normally done because most trans shops simply flush out old fluid and new while leaving the old filter installed). If you go to the trouble to change the filter(a good idea which isn't expensive) you will have to replenish the fluid which means knowing where the fill and drain plugs are because there is no other place to add fluid(no longer has dip stick fill tube).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Answered my question, do not have an Elantra, but thinking about buying one, we had the most luxurious Cruze we could buy with a manual transmission, that was just rear ended by a drunker driver with a large SUV.

Really not interested in the cheapest Elantra, and hopefully we can adapt to that manual mode. Ha, wish we could buy a vehicle made in Italy, There it is difficult to find an AT.

People I know with AT's and NOT having a dipstick are running into problems, you have to remove the top fill plug and let fluid drip in your face.

But here is the deal, the transmission has to be cold to fill it to the top, fluid expands drastically and if checked hot, will lose fluid, TC slips and clutches wear out. Really stupid to remove this stick. Thought Hyundai would have more brains
80's Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's, etc., all had dipsticks, easiest thing in the world in a FWD vehicle, just drill a hole in the top of the AT and screw in a fitting with a stick on it.

May buy the Limited anyway, and see about making my own. Does the Elantra have a warring lamp for low fluid? And an external cooler?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:09 AM

I sure don't know where you got your information from, but a lot of it false.
there are 2 plugs in the oil pans of newer sealed transmissions one being larger is the fill the smaller one is the level tube.
when filling the trans there are readings that most be followed via a computer hook up telling the tech what the oil temp is for setting the proper level. or a way to jump the obd connector to turn on the trans oil temp check level lamp such as with Toyotas
most are 140 to 160 degs F , the trans is filled till the fluid just starts to drip from the level tube at the factory spec'ed temp. when it is refilled to low a temp it is over filled ,to high under filled when cool.
transmission oil services are no longer for a do it your self person and better left to the hands of a pro with the special needed tools. this I know as a fact as I am a now retired ASE master tech. with 45 years under his belt and a former district service manager for another brand who has used sealed auto's since 1985
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in