rear sway - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to say the shimmy is a result of the rear suspension design being just a trailing arm. There's less lateral support. I'm guessing the hopping and the swaying is the result of soft springs with stiff damping or too little damping and the lack of a sway bar. The bushing on the arm it's self most likely give a little to much as well. As the problem is occurring on my younger brothers car (he's 16 and just learning to drive, the car was originally my other brothers car 20 who is now enlisted) both my dad and brother have complained about how unstable the rear is. I'm thinking a shock upgrade all around is needed to calm it down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 PM

I am unsure about the GT, but I know the elantra sedans do not have a rear sway bar. They have a straight beam axle in the rear instead of independent rear suspension, which is why the vehicle really only hops or sways when one wheel hits a bump. There are a few companies that make aftermarket sway bars that are fairly cheap and extremely simple to install. These sway bars will dramatically cut down on sway and improve cornering and traction in the rear end. I have also read that the OEM rear sway bar from the same year Veloster will fit, but I have not tried myself. These are the first vehicles I have come across without a sway bar. My 02 Accent, 03 Elantra, 08 Rio and 08 Accent all had one. Another upgrade that will improve upon these issues is a set of aftermarket springs, although these will also lower your car, not everyone wants this. Hope this helps
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 PM

Rear Hop and Sway Problem

Old subject, but the cure is KYB rear shocks and some better tires. Did the shocks and applied Continental PureContact rubber for secure handling car. Totally different animal!
ereed89 likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM

New Shocks/Tires

I have the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS and noticed the back swaying as well. I put KYB shocks and Pirelli all season tires and noticed a much better quality of ride. The back does not sway but rarely now. This is a must upgrade to get better enjoyment out of the car. It is a little costly but is well worth the investment.
ereed89 likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:56 AM

handling/wheel hop/rear end sway

i have the same issue and it's driving me crazy trying to solve it,.. with my snows on the front i noticed that the wheel hop is not nearly as bad leading me to think it's a tire issue...has anyone solved this problem by changing wheel/tire size?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Stability control is ENabled by default.
Pushing that button DISables it.

Rear wheel "hop" is pretty common with small cars.
It can be made worse with tire pressures that are too high.
It's common with a solid rear axle.

2017 Soul
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:23 AM

Garage
The Kia Forte is basically the same car. I experienced it a lot as well. I purchased a torsion bar and had it installed, took care of the problem and the car was a lot flatter in cornering. I have an email into the company to see if it will fit my new Elantra I just purchased this week. I am hoping it will.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Garage
And it does not fit from the 2015 to the 2017. Please if anyone has a bar for this car, I really want to know where to get one!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 PM

Garage
I found one through Shark Racing, only place to get one for the 2017+ Sedan. Made a world of difference. Well worth the money.
Attached Images
File Type: png 50878287_566483487202545_689573380378066944_n.png (541.2 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page