Elantra Forum banner

Oil filters for 2018 Elantra LE/SE 2.0L L4 DOHC 16 Valves

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  elantra84 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2018 Elantra SE with the 2.0L L4 DOHC 16 Valve engine.

So far, I have driven just over 20,000 trouble free miles.

The dealer changed the engine oil once but I did all the other oil changes myself.

I have been using the OEM Elantra oil filters but I would like to try other oil filters.

I plan to start using synthetic oil and extend the drain interval to 10,000 Km (about 6,200 miles) for the duration of the (cold northern) winter.

Please let me know if anyone has any experience (positive or negative) about the filters listed below.

a) Fram Tough Guard
b) Fram Ultra Synthetic
c) Amzoil EA15K20
d) Quaker State Oil Filter
e) Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter

These are the only filters that are available to me.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JimBob

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If you change your oil at 6200 miles as you say, why not use the Supertech ST9688 oil filter from Walmart and save $10. It's good for 10000 miles. Their full synthetic oil for around $16 for five quarts works good as well. Have been using this on my 2016 Elantra with 107,000 trouble free miles so far and still no oil use in between changes which I do every 5000 miles. Hopefully there's a Walmart nearby.

#4 ·
I've had many Sonata's and Elantra's come into my shop with oil pressure problems and were a direct result of an aftermarket oil filter because someone wanted to do things on the cheap. Stick with Hyundai OEM...

#9 ·
It's like I posted in another thread....Hyundai uses one specific spin-on oil filter for a reason. They bench test all their engines before they are installed in a car. The oil pressures parameters produced by the running engine are saved in the PCM memory therefore the engine runs at peak performance based on those PSI numbers. If you unknowing put a cheaper filter on your vehicle the engine is going to react to the change in PSI pressures and usually not for the better. Believe me when I tell you guys, don't mess around with engine internals using an aftermarket filter. There is no better filter than the one the engineers in Korea use in the factory.

#10 ·
I seriously doubt that and I'll tell you my reasons:
1) Each manufacturer for budget vehicles make net 300 to 700$ per car. If you make 10000 vehicles, it is very important to you if part is 5 or 5.5 USD, so cabin filters, air filters, oil filters, break pads, break rotors, tires, etc. they will always use cheapest one that will perform at expected level. Not the best one, the cheapest one.
2) As someone who is involved in engineering (not engines though, but general principles apply), it would be extremely bad engineering (not to say stupid) to have 4000$ engine oil pressure be regulated with with 6$ oil filters. More and more engines have internal bypass of oil filter gets clogged or cannot provide oil at required level.
3) Most companies (Kia and Hyunda inlcuded) do not make most of the parts for the car, they work with car part manufacturers and there is entire bidding process of who will make filters for the first install... So, Hyundai engineers most likely didn't 'design' oil filters at all, it was done by Mann-Hummel, Champ Labs or whoever won on the bidding war with them and those are nuclear science... All great players in oil-filter manufacturing have top level engineers that are not doing anything else in their life than designing oil filters. So, for example, if Champ Labs are making filters for Kia, but they also make filters under brands Royal Purple, Amsoil, Bosch, etc., do you really think that Royal Purple would be able to claim that their filters are "fit" for Elantra for example without having that filter going through the same processes, in the same factory, under same manufacturer...

So, here are some things I don't like with Hyunda original filter:
1) It's paper
2) It's filtering around 99% for 40 micron particles which is horrible at today's standards

Why? Because that filter is cheap. It doesn't worth more than 6$ that Hyunda is charging for it.

RP has 99.97 at 20 microns. Amsoil should be even better. And they cost more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.