2015 Elantra Battery $300?!? - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2015 Elantra Battery $300?!?

I went outside and got the dreaded clicks ... towed to the dealer, they said it was the battery and the replacement would cost $285 + taxes & labor, and it only has a 2 year warranty. Is there anything special about the battery? The guy on the phone said he wasn't really sure what the difference is, but thought it had something to do with it being packed with glass or something?

Duralast makes one for $160 with a 5 year warranty, so I'm planning to just go with that.

My only worry is the little fuse box thing that is attached to the positive terminal, I've not had a car with this before, so I wasn't sure if it required anything special from the battery itself.

From what I've been able to find (the factory battery had no stickers to help me, had to rely on my own research), the factory battery had these specs:
AGM 70L-DIN / 70 Ah 20 HR
760 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
610 Cranking Amp (CA)
120 RC

The Duralast replacement would have these:
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...0_978219_25698
650 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
810 Cranking Amp (CA)
100 RC

I live in NC, 1 snow a year usually, so I'm assuming the cold cranking amps won't matter? Will the higher cranking amps matter to anything? I'm not sure what the "AGM" is, or if that matters to the bottom line?

Any help or advice is appreciated, wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing up anything in the box attached to the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:27 PM

They don't call them "Stealerships" for no reason. Nothing special about battery and Duralast is a reliable brand although somewhat overpriced. The little fuse box thing (basically a surge protector so ECM doesn't fry) isn't an issue; connections slide off/on battery terminals one loosed with 10mm wrench/socket.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Walmart has an Everstart battery for less than $100 that is identical in specs of the Duralast along with a 3 year replacement warranty (5 year total). Took me about 5 minutes to replace my battery on my 2016 Elantra recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page