User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2008 elantra tranny issue

hi guys,

i have a situation. my car never had a problem. it served me well for 10 years. but then...

here is a cliff note:

1. my 2008 elantra acted funky after i drive through hills in seattle. it felt slow and heavy then it doesn't go past 3rd gear. on highway it doesn't go past 60 miles without really trying because it's on a 3rd gear.
check engine light is on. and whenever this incident happens(happens almost always when i drive through hills) it becomes really sluggish. for ex. in the red light i'm ready to accelerate, but it just won't move fast. i mean it's a super slow mo. this went on for about a month.

2. so i took it to hyundai dealer. they said i need to replace shift control solenoid. about 767 bucks. hate to pay it, but what can i do? i paid it.

3. now car drives well. eh, for about 2 days. same thing happens again, this time it happened on a high way. i was cruising at 70mph and all of sudden i hear 'clunk'(jerky motion) and it goes limp mode getting stuck on 3rd gear. i'm mad and pissed. so take it to the dealer again

4 at the dealer, they say it's the engine miss firing based on how i describe the situation. i have to replace the coil. they also mention that voltage on the harness is low. it sucks, but what can i do? i pay $136 for the coil. they didn't charge for the labor.

5 so it drives fairly well again and then boom. #3 happens again on the highway. my wife freaks out. because cruising at 70mph and sudden deceleration with jerky motion is frightening.

6. so i took it to the dealer this morning. i'm already very angry and helpless. dealer says i need a whole new tranny. they say they can get an used tranny for $2300. and they will credit $767+$136 toward this used tranny. i'm like what? so did i just spent $900 for nothing?

i don't know what to do. when it goes limp mode in the city it's not fun. i can't drive fast and people starts honky at me. and on high way i can't drive past 60mph. basically it runs, but it runs like crap.

so should i just suck it up and fix the tranny? what do i have to do? keep taking it to the dealer? i'm in no position to buy a car right now. i'm fuming right now at spending $900 with no results.

help!

Last edited by Bones_Jones; 07-13-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in