Odd Electrical Issue - Hyundai Elantra Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Odd Electrical Issue

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum. This is my first post and I did not find a location specifically designated for 1.8L technical problems.

I own a 2011 Elantra Limited which currently has 105,000 miles. Twice now I have experienced an odd electrical failure. Both instances occurred while attempting to start the car. The car would start to crank, then everything goes dead and shuts off, interior lights and all, as if there were no battery connected. Initially I thought the ignition switch was bad, but I ruled that out when I realized the car was acting like it had no battery connected (or as if the battery were totally dead). The ignition switch should have nothing to do with the interior lights coming on when the door is opened or if I manually turn them on. Now I am thinking there is some sort of main power relay that feeds the entire electrical system, OR I have a connection issue. There are no obvious signs of damage like chewed wires. I have lived in the same home for two decades and have never had problems with rodents chewing electrical wires. The first time this failure occurred, the car remained "dead" for a couple of days. Then one day it started and I had no problems for a few months. Tonight was the second time this problem has popped up. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, everything turned back on, then everything shut off again when I tried to start the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrq1701 View Post
My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum. This is my first post and I did not find a location specifically designated for 1.8L technical problems.

I own a 2011 Elantra Limited which currently has 105,000 miles. Twice now I have experienced an odd electrical failure. Both instances occurred while attempting to start the car. The car would start to crank, then everything goes dead and shuts off, interior lights and all, as if there were no battery connected. Initially I thought the ignition switch was bad, but I ruled that out when I realized the car was acting like it had no battery connected (or as if the battery were totally dead). The ignition switch should have nothing to do with the interior lights coming on when the door is opened or if I manually turn them on. Now I am thinking there is some sort of main power relay that feeds the entire electrical system, OR I have a connection issue. There are no obvious signs of damage like chewed wires. I have lived in the same home for two decades and have never had problems with rodents chewing electrical wires. The first time this failure occurred, the car remained "dead" for a couple of days. Then one day it started and I had no problems for a few months. Tonight was the second time this problem has popped up. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, everything turned back on, then everything shut off again when I tried to start the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
These cars, 2011-2012 are known to have grounding issues. When manufactured, Hyundai cut corners and terminated some engine compartment ground points on top of painted surfaces, which does not make for good ground connection. One such location is directly behind and to the right of the battery. Check there, as well as the opposite side by the strut tower. Also, there is a grounding point inside the car to the left of the brake pedal in front of the foot rest. Tighten that as best as possible, as that ground has been known to cause entire electrical/engine shutdown while driving which could be quite a bad experience.

2012 Elantra Limited

Sky Blue Metallic Paint
  • Auto Ventshade (AVS) Carflector; Stone/Bug Deflector*
  • Bump Shox - front bumper protector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page